bosch pump job started! first problems...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lazza wrote:
1. My M8 bolts, I think are long enough for Ed´s suggestion. Is there any harm in trying this method?
I'm cautious and would not but that's just me. I can see exactly how Ed's method works though. My only reservation is that the tapers in my experience are always very tight and there is a small risk of damage to the pump casing using Ed's method if the taper is really tight. Ed's method will not put an even "push" onto the pump. Just a personal view and I admit to being very gentle and cautious with these things. I complement you Ed, on a very clever dodge to get around the need of a special tool :D

If you have a scrappy with old cars, you might just find a car with the puller built into the sprocket as they were pre-1990 'ish. It looks just like the Citroen special tool pictured above and should be removable and transferrable to your sprocket.
lazza wrote: 2. I have found M7 bolts but they are 35mm and have couple of centimetres of no thread... I will try to attach a picture.. will these work for the tool??
No, length is OK but you need threads all the way up. Borrow gearbox ones!
lazza wrote: 3. I am confused that you need another tool to stop the sprocket from turning. Surely the two M8 bolts will hold the sprocket in place, whilst undoing the sprocket nut?
You don't Larry, the two M8 timing locking bolts are adequate to hold the pump sprocket locked to undo the nut and to hold the sprocket and timing belt in place with the pump off. I only included it for interest and to show what special tools were available.
lazza wrote: 4. Also how do you stop the shaft turning, and hence messing up the timing on the pump as the taper is being remover?
The two M8 locking bolts do this perfectly for the sprocket. The pump is woodruff keyed to the sprocket so can only go on the sprocket in one position. Timing is thus preserved.

lazza wrote: The spanish all think i'm stark raving bonkers, noone fixes their own car here, especially if they're as green as me... well i hope to demonstrate some british ingenuity... :?
Good for you Larry :D I like your attitude!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Ed
My Cars:

Post by Ed »

Lazza, the 2 m8 bolts will be sufficient in locking the sprocket. I have removed these many times using this method.

WRT freeing the taper, the only danger in this method is if you don't get good contact area on the pump with the bolt then you risk damaging the edge of pump. So turn the pump to a position where the bolt makes full contact area with pump. It will be obvious if you try it.
Ed
My Cars:

Post by Ed »

Didn't see your reply Citrojim.

But you have a point. My method doesn't apply even pressure, but it has worked for me every time, on 3 different cars.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

oops sorry everyone, I didnt see page two !

:shock: :roll:

hi Lazza

dont worrt about pump rotation- when you come to refit it, it can only go back in one place due to the woodruff key..

the sprocket is indeed locked in place through out the whole operation... and you dont need to worry about that moving...

If manufacturing tools is tricky I would try Ed's suggestion, although Jim's ally bar is a useful thing to have..

:)
John
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

Ah so that's what a woodruff key is... makes sense

Ok well, i'll try to knock up the tool (or borrow one from the citroen garage).. if not i can try the Ed method

thanks for all your advice, hopefully i'll actually get this pump off soon :)
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer
Ed
My Cars:

Post by Ed »

Don't bother knocking up the tool....go straight for the Ed method! At least try it first. If it doesn't work, then you'll have to go for the tool.