Xantia VSX heater/blower

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fatherjack2002
My Cars:

Xantia VSX heater/blower

Post by fatherjack2002 »

As a "newbie" to the forum i'd firstly like to say hi to all .I've owned 4 Xantia's over the last 9 years , but never had anything to do with the maintenence side of things, as i had a friend who did all the works for me, he has since moved away, so i'm at a loss now and will prob have to roll the sleeves up and get on with things myself, anyway enough waffling from me, and hopefully i'll get some info/feedback to rectify these probs :P ......I have a '95 Xantia VSX 1.9 TD , which has developed a couple of faults recently, . The slide switch for the heater/blower has just decided not to work anymore, it was ok earlier this week ,but now appears comp dead, is this the heater switch at fault ,or a deeper problem ?, also the hydractive switch next to the height adjustment doesn't light up now, will this just be the switch, or is it going to be a fault in the suspension system ? , if its just likely to be switches do any members have the parts that i could purchase ? . I have another post in the parts section, if anyone can help me that as well it would be great :D ......
Many thanks Paul ...AKA Fatherjack....
1995 Xantia VSX 1.9 TD, RIP
N*ssan Pr*mera . HATING EVERY MILE
1994 Xantia LX 1.9TD, RIP
1997 Xantia desire 2 re-homed
2002 Pugeot 307 HDI (not quite a Xantia, but still French)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum, when you say the heater slider isn't working is the fan working at all? It may be either a faulty connection on the fan motor or the ignition switch. With regard the the suspension check the Hydractive fuse in the fuse box behind the battery.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
1900sr

Post by 1900sr »

Are you sure the switch isn't lighting. My VSX the light is so dim that it can only be seen after dark.
fatherjack2002
My Cars:

Post by fatherjack2002 »

Hi, thanks for reply, the heater slide is working, but the blower slider is dead, the fan is totaly inoperative, i'll check the contacts on the fan motor, when you say the ignition switch, where,or how does this work the fan ? if it were to be this do i need to replace the ignition switch, if so where's it located? , i'll check the fuse for the hydractive and let you know the outcome....................many thanks Paul............
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Have a look here:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21372
The relay mod is relatively easy to do.

As for the hydractive switch light, I'd imagine it suffers the same as some of the dashboard switches do where the green (or whatever colour the light is) filter cap blackens from heat from the bulb.
Had this problem with my A/C switch, and a previous owner had just cracked off the front of the filter, meaning that while the switch lit up, it was an extremely bright orange rather than green.
Swapped the switch with the rear window disable switch and swapped over the front panels with the symbols on. Will pick up another rear window disable switch next time I'm at the scrap yard, or try painting the diffuser (which sits under the switch front panel) green.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

the blower slider is dead
Welcome to our troubles, Paul. :twisted:

The blower speed control slider goes faulty in a way that causes the blower to permanently run at a low speed, even in the ‘off’ position … story here:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=23767

Your fault is loss of supply, as per DickieG and Xac.
Enjoy a good fiddle. :mrgreen:
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
fatherjack2002
My Cars:

Post by fatherjack2002 »

Thanks for all your help and info, i checked the hydractive switch in the dark ( at 5am on my way 2 work ) still nothing showing, so i'll check the fuses as soon as i get some daylight time, i also tried the heater blower, and it came on no problem :?: :?: :?: , as if there had never been a fault with it in the 1st place!, i think i'll leave it for now on the assumption "if its working again don't touch it ", but at least i've got some good info threads THANKS, can anyone help with the door mirror request i've got in the wanted section?.........many thanks again Paul
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Paul,

If you need any circuit diagrams to nail down the hydractive switch problem (or any other electrical problem for that matter), let me know. The Haynes BoL only has a (very) small subset :twisted: Some really vital ones are missing.

The light in the hydractive switch is powered from the hydractive ECU which lives in the box on the O/S inner wing in the engine bay.

Is your suspension currently stuck in hard mode?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

fatherjack2002 wrote:Thanks for all your help and info, i checked the hydractive switch in the dark ( at 5am on my way 2 work ) still nothing showing, so i'll check the fuses as soon as i get some daylight time, i also tried the heater blower, and it came on no problem :?: :?: :?: , as if there had never been a fault with it in the 1st place!, i think i'll leave it for now on the assumption "if its working again don't touch it ", but at least i've got some good info threads THANKS, can anyone help with the door mirror request i've got in the wanted section?.........many thanks again Paul
The problem with leaving the fan as it is, the problem will get worse, and is most likely to rear its ugly head when you next really really need that blower to be working (especially with winter coming up).
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
fatherjack2002
My Cars:

Post by fatherjack2002 »

Thanks for the offer of circuit diagrams Jim, i'll get a look at the hydractive and heater probs at the weekend, as i leave for work at 5 am and don't get back untill 7 pm, so i miss any daylight time to do any work.
I think the suspension is stuck in hard setting, as its not as smooth as i remember, Regards Paul