Another Xantia radio code problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

amurleopard

Another Xantia radio code problem

Post by amurleopard »

Hi,

after changing the battery last week, the Clarion radio asked me for a code. I didn't have one (bought the car a year ago and stupidly didn't ask for the radio code) and entered 1234 once. Now I keep seeing four single dashes, and it won't let me try again. I have followed all hints in previous threads (e.g., here and here), changed the position of fuse 1 and left the radio on for over 24 hours, but it's still showing four dashes. My Citroën dealer wants to provide me with the code on Monday (central computer seems to work MF 9-5 only :?) -- so how can I get the radio to ask "CODE IN" again :?:
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I can only relay how mine worked in the hope yours is the same. Once I'd entered the incorrect code, I had two lines of dashes (no matter how long I left it, they remained and locked me out). What I discovered was that I needed to press the "tone" button to change mode and then it would read CODE IN (provided the lockout time had elapsed). Odd that wasn't document in the manual but there you go, HTH.
amurleopard

Post by amurleopard »

Thanks for the info.
MikeT wrote:I can only relay how mine worked in the hope yours is the same. Once I'd entered the incorrect code, I had two lines of dashes (no matter how long I left it, they remained and locked me out).
I only get one line of dashes, but otherwise the symptoms are the same.
MikeT wrote:What I discovered was that I needed to press the "tone" button to change mode and then it would read CODE IN (provided the lockout time had elapsed).
Mine doesn't have any button reading "tone". Is it the one with the musical note, right next to the power button? I'm speaking of the X2's original Clarion 4035 radio with the "Xantia" writing on the front. Sorry, I should have mentioned this earlier ...

How long was your lockout time?
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

amurleopard wrote:Mine doesn't have any button reading "tone". Is it the one with the musical note....How long was your lockout time?
Yes, the button with the music note symbol, it was the only way to get the CODE IN message and allow number inputs on my Clarion in the Mk2 Xantia (sorry, don't recall the model number or the lockout duration - either 60 mins or 3 hours).
amurleopard

Post by amurleopard »

Hm, this didn't work. :( Left the radio on for more than 3 hours and pressed the note button. Nothing happened. I still have the four dashes (not underlined). Any more ideas? *tear hair in despair*
bonnyman750
My Cars:

Post by bonnyman750 »

Not sure about the Mk2's but on one of my MK1 SX radio (the one with the cd input socket) you key in the code using buttons 1 to 4 (first number 3 so three presses of button 1, second number 7 so 7 presses etc) then you have to press button 6 to enter it...

HTH

Glyn
amurleopard

Post by amurleopard »

bonnyman750 wrote:Not sure about the Mk2's but on one of my MK1 SX radio (the one with the cd input socket) you key in the code using buttons 1 to 4 (first number 3 so three presses of button 1, second number 7 so 7 presses etc) then you have to press button 6 to enter it...
Glyn, the problem is that the radio doesn't ask me for a code after I've entered a wrong code once. It keeps showing four horizontal dashes instead of "CODE IN", and doesn't react on any of the buttons pressed, even after it has been on for more than three hours.

Any more ideas?
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Looking back over my old thread, it may have been the band button (BND) I needed to press rather than the tone button, sorry if I misled you.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

And looking back over this thread, amurleopard mentions leaving the radio ON for more than 3 hours.
It’s got to be left OFF, disconnected from the supply, to restart from scratch. :mrgreen:
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Clogzz wrote:It’s got to be left OFF, disconnected from the supply, to restart from scratch. :mrgreen:
That isn't true for my Citroen radio nor my Ford radio either though it may well be for others. I had to shunt the fuse to get a live feed direct instead of needing the ignition on.

By the way, my Clarion has no model number on the fascia so mine may be a different model anyway.

Only other suggestions I have is to ask a Citroen Dealer to print off the instructions for inputting the security code so you know for sure - they offered me but I didn't require that, just the code itself which I eventually got off the previous owner.
amurleopard

Post by amurleopard »

Thanks MikeT and cloggs, here's a clarification of what I've done so far:
  • (1) Disconnected and reconnected the radio by changing the battery.
    (2) Switched on the radio -> radio showed "CODE IN".
    (3) Entered 1234 just to try it because I expected to have at least 3 trials -> radio showed "----".
    (4) Changed position of Fuse 1 so that radio now operates when ignition off.
    (5) Left radio on for >24 hours last weekend -> radio still showed "----".
    (6) After MikeT's post, left radio on for >3 hours and then pressed the note button -> radio still showed "----". The same after pressing any other button, including BND.
    (7) Teared my hair and swore, but apparently this didn't help either.
@MikeT, my radio doesn't have its model number on the facia either, I just took that from the manual to make it clear which one I'm speaking of. I have little confidence that asking the dealer for instruction would help---don't they just have the instruction for the normal case? "If it shows 'CODE IN', then ..." But I can try this straw.

@Clogzz, maybe disconnecting the radio completely might help overcoming the locked state. I'll try ASAP. (Working overtime at the moment, so this might take a few days.)

Altogether, it seems to me that the security gained by this code feature is a "security by obscurity". It wouldn't help thieves---but the legal owner---if there were clear instructions on how to proceed in each of the possible cases (enter code, locked, etc.). These should be in the manual and not hidden in the Cit dealer's cellar behind a door with a sign "beware of the leopard" etc. ... </rant> :?
amurleopard

Post by amurleopard »

amurleopard wrote:Thanks MikeT and cloggs,
Sorry, Clogzz :roll:
Stunned Monkey

Post by Stunned Monkey »

I had this problem, and it is indeed the BND button that's needed... but you need to hold it for a few seconds.
Martin
-------
Old Faithful: Silver V-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, died due to tin worm @ 259k miles
New Faithful: Silver W-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, 169k miles and counting...
Previous: Various BX's, XM V6 24,
Venturi Atlantique 300, Alpine A610
amurleopard

Post by amurleopard »

Stunned Monkey wrote:I had this problem, and it is indeed the BND button that's needed... but you need to hold it for a few seconds.
Aha! :) Sounds good, but I can't try at the moment, I'm overseas. Thanks for the info, I'll keep you updated when I'm back.
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

did you disconnect the battery and then reconnect it should work then,mine always does
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o