What do you think of the Traffic Master?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

What do you think of the Traffic Master?

Post by red_dwarfers »

When I was down the scrap dealers today, taking some bits off this V reg Xant I noticed it had this Tm thing on the left hand side of the steering wheel, I gather that this is the Traffic Master button...

I'm tempted to swap the system into my car. What do you all think about the traffic master? any good?

If I did, is it much of a job to take it out?
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Its more anoying than anything & you need to pay a yearly subscription, i think its about £ 30. the ECU for it is up behind the glove box but as you have a mk1 there will be no wiring already there for it as it was only fitted to the Mk 2's.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

When I was down the scrap dealers today, taking some bits off this V reg Xant I noticed it had this Tm thing on the left hand side of the steering wheel, I gather that this is the Traffic Master button...

I'm tempted to swap the system into my car. What do you all think about the traffic master? any good?
Don't bother, it is a POS.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

lolingram wrote: Don't bother, it is a POS.
Agreed. I'd far rather listen to the likes of Lynne Bowles and Sally Traffic on Radio 2 myself.

Besides, I'm very dubious if the thing can be fitted to a MK1. I have a feeling it works in conjunction with the body computer and needs the later wireless.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Thats my mind made up then!
It's staying in the scrap heap where it belongs :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

[quote="citrojim
Besides, I'm very dubious if the thing can be fitted to a MK1. I have a feeling it works in conjunction with the body computer and needs the later wireless.[/quote]

Not impossible. It's not connected to the CPH (body computer) at all, The System only consists of The ECU which has the reciever built in, The switch on the dash & the front speakers already fitted to the car. Would just involve a lot of wiring as the speaker wiring goes in & back out the unit again, hence the reason you cant just unplug the trafficmaster to shut up the annoying voice telling you the subscription has expired as it cuts the speakers for the radio off.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Wheeler :D Gosh, can I ever get it wrong sometimes :lol: Good job we have you on board!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

8)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Is it the greyish plug to the right?

I find all the unused connectors intriguing! This photo came from "excavating" the cruise control wiring.

Regards, Adam.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Jim, next time i'm over yours could you remove the TM system for me, its a PITA if you start and restart and check for the fault code light to come on as it decides to start speaking to you and its kinda embarassing :lol:
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

XantiaMan583 wrote:Jim, next time I'm over yours could you remove the TM system for me, its a PITA if you start and restart and check for the fault code light to come on as it decides to start speaking to you and its kinda embarrassing :lol:
Pressing the TM button as soon as she starts talking shuts her up.

Removing the system will be difficult unless someone has worked out the wiring diagram for the TM box as simply unplugging it will disable the front speakers. Wheeler, any idea's? :wink:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I've done it on both the C5 and the Xantia, it's pretty easy once you've found the box. You simply use a voltmeter to find out which pins carry the 12V power and disconnect them. I did it by pushing the pins back into the box so that, if I ever take leave of my senses, I can reconnect it easily. Alternatively you could snip the power feed wire but I don't like having live wires flapping around behind the dash.

Getting the glovebox out of the Xantia is a challenge. First you find the correct page in the BOL. Using a pair of scissors carefully remove the page and set fire to it. You can use any brand of matches but I find Swan Vestas work best. Once that's out of the way you remove all the screws you can see in the glovebox then feel around the edge of the felt lining for the hidden ones. If the glovebox doesn't come out easily you have missed one.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The box has a 26 pin blue connector you can either isolate the ignition feeds at pins 2 & 15 but the plug must be left connected or for a more permanant solution join the wires of pins 3&4, 5&6, 7&8, 9&10, 16&17, 18&19, 20&21, 22&23. These are the speaker inputs & outputs.
Even though the annoying voice only comes out the front speakers it mutes the rear ones so just unpluging the box will cut all the speakers.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

reblack68 wrote: First you find the correct page in the BOL. Using a pair of scissors carefully remove the page and set fire to it. You can use any brand of matches but I find Swan Vestas work best.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really must not read these posts whilst drinking tea. My poor keyboard :lol:

Gareth,

We'll do as advised to silence her on your car. I like your take on the subject Richard. At least if the need is felt, she can be easily brought back to life.
Jim

reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I'm sure you can understand my frustration. Half an hour of wrestling, risking damage to the dashboard, lying in that awkward footwell work position and getting these horrible plastic cuts you get behind dashboards- all for the want of a single sentence in the BOL. There was a sentence on the S2 procedure but it didn't tell you anything.

If you choose the "pushing pins in" route do open the box to make sure you haven't made them short on anything.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.