Picasso hdi white smoke

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

master321
My Cars:

Picasso hdi white smoke

Post by master321 »

Just purchased our second picasso hdi, having taken the 2001 sx upto 200k, although going strong feels tired.
The replacement is a 2002 exclusive with a mere 58k on the clock full service history, a real clean example, however- on its third day in our possesion it ran down to local tescos to do shopping all fine, when we started it after about half hour, it started billowing out huge clouds of white smoke from exhaust and would not rev, The rac came to have a look but it was nearly 2 hours before they arrived. They came and the car started fine no smoke-responsive to throttle. They followed me home with no problems car drove fine. 1 hour later went to move car- plumes of white smoke and no throttle.
We have checked the filter seems like new, oil level perfect, coolant level fine.
Anyone got any ideas what may be wrong ](*,)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi and welcome to the forum :D

When you say white, is it white with a greyish tinge to it and a pungent odour of diesel? More like a paraffin smell?

Whilst I have no great knowledge of the HDi specifically, plumes of white/grey smoke with poor or no throttle response in a diesel engine suggests fuel is flowing through the engine largely unburned which suggests a lack of compression.

What does it sound like when it is smoking? does it sound like a normal idle, or is it very quiet or knocking perhaps?

If indeed this is unburned fuel, there are two potential causes, either a valve (or valves) are sticking a little open occasionally, a piston ring seal is failing or a sensor is giving wrong information to the ECU and upsetting the timing so that fuel is injected at the wrong time. That would account for its inability to rev.

The only problem with that line of thinking is that in both cases, the engine should be hard to start. Do you see the engine management light come on during the smoking.

If the vehicle was standing idle a long time at the dealers before you bought it, sticking valves may still be a possibility. Was the vehicle serviced before you acquired it? If not and if it spent time idle, I'd be inclined to give it an oil change initially and see if that resolves the issue. Certainly if it is caused by sticky valves or piston rings, fresh oil will help in unsticking them, as will a good, long drive to really warm and exercise the engine.

Sorry for asking more questions than answers :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
master321
My Cars:

Post by master321 »

Hi citrojim,
thanks for the prompt response,
Yes the smoke is more grey with a strong diesel smell.

The car started on the button this morning and went for a tentative local run, again no problems or smoke. Sat the car in the drive on a fast tick over for 15 mins to get the temp right up give the accelarator a lung full and it started missing almost like a backfire but not as pronounced and plumes of greyish smoke! I wonder on the head gasket possibly.

When it performs the smoking there is no knocking or rattling, will just idle but smokes heavily if you touch accelarator.

The engine manament light has never shown itself and the car is willing to start at all times.

The car was at the dealers for a fair while but we did a 50 mile motorway drive home from ther with no problems, obviously loosly sticking to the speed limit and according to the service book its approx 2500 miles since its last service.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Take it back!

Post by Old-Guy »

:!: Don't tinker with it - it's under warranty!

As you're an RAC member, get their expert advice on how to handle the dealer.

Before complaining (nicely but firmly) to the dealer, write down exactly and concisely what happens and under what circumstances. There can then be no excuse for the dealer not being able to reproduce the fault. Send this document by e-mail, with a return receipt, to the dealer. When you take it back, put a copy on the driver's seat so the mechanic has no excuse for not understanding exactly what the problem is.

Don't admit to having done anything to the car other than hand-book checks of fluid levels.

Regardless of what the dealer may try to tell you, the law requires all motor traders to give (at least) a 3-month warranty on every vehicle sold to a private buyer (that's why trade-ins often go to auction). Any agreement that he may claim that you and he have made for a lesser warranty is contrary to law and thus void.

If he refuses to fix the car at his cost and provide you with a loan car while the work is being done, (or refund your money in full) you are entitled to have the work done elsewhere and recover through the Small Claims Court the cost of the work, cost of a hire car (if necessary), court costs, and your lost income attending court. You would also notify Trading Standards of his failure to comply with the law.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

might be a cracked head, as this possibly wont show its self untill the engine starts to warm up

regards malcolm
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

i agree with malcolm i think you should get the head compression tested get the garage to do it they are liable
2004 C3 XTR HDI 16V 92bhp
2004 Xsara Picasso Exclusive HDI 16V 110bhp
1989 Peugeot J5 Hymer B694 2.5td intercooled 8v 96bhp