Bosch pump seals

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a very sparkly, clean engine Larry :D

The microswitch is the glowplug post-heating defeat switch. The glowplugs continue to operate after the amber light goes off and the engine is started on a TD. They stay on if either the coolant is below 60 degrees c or the engine is idling. If you take the engine off idle (about one third throttle actually) the switch in question operates and cancels the post-heating by dropping out the post-heat relay.

The post-heat system also operates the cold start advance electrovalve on the side of the pump and having (usually) an orange wire attached.

In the UK, both post-heating and cold advance can be lived without fairly happily but is essential in cold climates. In Spain you'll be fine without it I would have thought unless where you are gets very cold in winter...

be very careful with second-hand pumps. You have the Bosch VP20 with automatic injection advance. Itr does not use an ECU to control timing. The VP20-AS3 looks nearly identical but has a three wire potentiometer in place of the microswitch and uses an ECU to control injection advance; they are not at all compatible with each other :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lazza
My Cars:

Post by lazza »

HI Jim

yes actually i had the head gasket changed in France on my way back from holiday.. fortunately it blew about 500 metres from my only mechanical friend.. hadnt seen him for 4 years, and had to say.. err could you fix my head gasket :) Anyway they skimmed the head too, so it should be squeeky clean and new.. didnt count on the pump going too!

so do you think my repair job will work? what's the chances of the pump going shkling quiplut! #-o , or other noises on me when i start the motor?

cheers
Larry
(1996 Citroen Xantia 1.9TD LX with aircon)
Living in exile in Spain
Running on 100% veggie in summer