xantia t reg 99 model 1.9 turbo D Suspension Issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia 1.9td 1999

xantia t reg 99 model 1.9 turbo D Suspension Issues

Post by xantia 1.9td 1999 »

the front suspension on my xantia tends to drop when i start the car and makes a noise whilst dropping??????????

If the cars been parked up for a couple of days it then start with no problems.

What can be the problem?????HELP

Thanks

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
RUNNING 100% BIO
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

A sort of groaning noise? If so, I think it's the rubber bushes for your anti-roll bar.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi, my 99 xantia often resets itself when I start it up.. usually one or both ends drop then rise .. Dont worry about it :)

the groaning, mine does this when I walk away from it.. I think its upset about the way its treated or something.. lubeing the struts may help..

:D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jgra1 wrote: the groaning, mine does this when I walk away from it.. I think its upset about the way its treated or something..
:lol: :lol:

Miy estate does that (at the front) sometimes John. Rather a bizarre sort of Urrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggg noise as it falls :) As you say, nothing to worry about at all but worth a strut lube although that may not fully cure it.

If the back sinks on start-up, that does have a cause or three. It usually indicates your main accumulator and/or rear corner spheres are getting on a bit and could do with replacement. You'd may as well swap the antisink sphere if it's old but this is not often the root cause.

How long is your regulator tick interval? Anything less than 30s and you have a flattish accumulator.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I believe it's the bushes labelled "2" in the attached diagram, from Citroën Service. My background is (originally) in things that make pleasant enough noises, so the ears are dialled in to quantifying a new sound.

As these bushes are squeezed tight around the bar, and often are dry (always, in the case of rubber) they will vibrate as the height changes and the bar rotates, transferring this resonance to the body panels where their saddle clamps are mounted.

Using a little (conventional) brake assembly grease or rubber grease would almost certainly quell the sound for a while - but I rather like it. :lol:

Regards, Adam.

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hmm makes sense Addo..

I like the effect it has on people who get out out of car :lol:

Jim, I think my ticking is 20-30s but wil check....

The amount of HP pressure needed to get the car to normal height first thing, is enough to stall the car or make it harder to start.. glowplus were all fine a few weeks ago.. could be the cold and veg oil..

John
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That noise is nothing to do with the rubber bushes. It's one of the pipes associated with the front anti sink valve vibrating against the body - in certain circumstances if the AS valve is closed but the suspension height is not correct then as the AS valve opens the suspension height corrects, but I think the AS valves chatters, and this gives rise to the noise. I think there was a service bulletin from Citroen to try and deal with it, but AFAIK it was never really successful. I suspect that it occurs due to leakage in the rear suspension which drops the system pressure before the front height has the chance to correct. My estate does it - and many estates seem to sink at the rear - don't know if the rear susp cylinders are more prone to leakage on these??? I need to get around to some car maintenance, and new rear spheres is one of the things, to see if that will help stop the rear sinking.
Richard W
xantia 1.9td 1999

How long is your regulator tick interval? Anything less than 30s and you have a flattish accumulator.[/quote]

the ticking from the regulator once the car has completely settled, i would say is around the 10/15 second mark. What is an 'ACCUMULATOR'...???
Any pics would really help. Thanks
xantia 1.9td 1999

citrojim wrote:
jgra1 wrote: the groaning, mine does this when I walk away from it.. I think its upset about the way its treated or something..
:lol: :lol:

Miy estate does that (at the front) sometimes John. Rather a bizarre sort of Urrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggg noise as it falls :) As you say, nothing to worry about at all but worth a strut lube although that may not fully cure it.

If the back sinks on start-up, that does have a cause or three. It usually indicates your main accumulator and/or rear corner spheres are getting on a bit and could do with replacement. You'd may as well swap the antisink sphere if it's old but this is not often the root cause.

How long is your regulator tick interval? Anything less than 30s and you have a flattish accumulator.

the ticking from the regulator once the car has completely settled, i would say is around the 10/15 second mark. What is an 'ACCUMULATOR'...???
Any pics would really help. Thanks
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Open the bonnet, stand in front of the car, and look down between the engine and the radiator, you'll see a green sphere.
That's your accumulator. It keeps the pressure up when the pump isn't running, which is important as you need it in working order for braking if your aux drive belt snaps for instance.
About £20 to replace.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool