Visa GTi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Visa GTi

Post by deian »

Hi all,

Just a quick question? Is the Visa GTi a rare car?

There is a black on going round here and it looks in good nick, with proper citroen chunky four spoke (?) wheels and twin round lights (which i'm sure is standard), it's a daily driver for the estate agent who let out the flat we're in. He has a bit of cash i'd presume, so there must be something about the Visa otherwise he'd be in a nicer car.

Anyone got any more info on the Visa GTi?

Thanks
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Not my Citroen speciality, but yes, now a rare car.

The running gear shares almost all of the Pug 205 GTi although IIRC the
1.6 not the 1.9? Citrojim?

I'd imagine being a 4 door it'd be a lot more practical than a 205 and IS
going to be a rare sight about the place - the round front lights certainly
'sported' the frontal appearance no end too!

I'd imagine a quick Google is bound to pull up what's what.

Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Weeelll although this seems to do what the label says...

http://www.visagti.com/

it's only detailed to a point. There may be a dearth of info on these after all Deian!

Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

http://www.citroenvisa.net/vindex.htm

looks more promising being more informative/detailed.

Andrew
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

andmcit wrote: The running gear shares almost all of the Pug 205 GTi although IIRC the
1.6 not the 1.9? Citrojim?
Yes, it had the full 1.6 GTi running gear at the front, suspension and all. early ones were 105bhp and the last ones 115bhp.

One distinct advantage it had over the 205 was the retention of the Visa suspension at the rear which changed the handling characteristics to the extent that it did not suffer LOO (Lift Off Oversteer) that was responsible for putting loads of 205s into hedges backwards :lol: Some say they handled better than a 205GTi.

I think the Visa GTi is a lovely little car and very, very desirable. More so in my mind than the 205GTi. They look stunning in red :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Thinking about it, I recall if it wasn't available as standard, some did get a
1.9 engine fitted although the converter is a bit hazy now!? Turbo Technics
chimes a distant bell in my addled memory but in the late 80's/early 90's I
couldn't get enough stuff to learn about cars and now I'm starting to forget
more than I know!

Andrew
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

spook to Mike Harker (VISA EDITOR CCC) visa@citroencarclub.org.uk, and he will probably be able to tell you exactly how many are still knowen to man or beast
regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

andmcit wrote:Turbo Technics chimes a distant bell
Turbo Techics sounds about right Andrew. They did a a very good after-market turbo kit for the 205GTi (both 1.6 and 1.9) which is still sought-after today. Short of dropping an Activa engine in a 205GTi :evil: :evil: it is still a very good route to giving a good power increase although the standard engine runs a bit too hairy a cam and a bit too much CR to go boosting it too much without additional work.

I don't think the original TT kit came with an intercooler.

A 1.9 Turbo'd Visa GTi must have been rather a lot of fun :lol: 8)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

Interesting stuff, thanks for the info guys, thats satisfied my curiosity then.

Bottom line is, it's rarer and maybe better than the 205 Gti 1.6.

My cousin smashed his gti 1.9 by lift off oversteer, he blames bad tyres on the back... but that would only exaggerate the LOO, he reckons he's a good driver, i mentioned LOO to him and he's never heard of it! He couldn't get his head round the fact that front wheel drive car with a wheel on each corner oversteered.

Never mind huh.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

andmcit wrote:Weeelll although this seems to do what the label says...

http://www.visagti.com/

it's only detailed to a point. There may be a dearth of info on these after all Deian!

Andrew
That site belongs to a forum member, VisaGti16v I believe his username was.
visagti
My Cars:

Post by visagti »

A long time since I've been on here so just seen this post.

There are approx 12 Gti's left taxed on the road, this was about 1 year ago now so yes these are getting very rare. There are only 2 Gt's taxed on the road.

I think the Citroen club has 6ish Gti's registered and I think 3 are on the road?, Mike Harker will know better thought.

A lot of them in my neck of the woods were bought cheap years ago when a 205 owner had blown their engine it was the cheapest way to get a new one. I know someone who rally X a 205 and broken 5 Citroens for the engine and scrapped the rest of the car.

Getting one now would be very hard and getting one without rust very very rare.
Visa Gti 105ch - white - under restoration - NO RUST never painted
Visa Gti 105ch - red
Visa Gti 115ch - white - requires tlc
Corsa CDTi SXI+
Impreza WRX Wagon
deian

Post by deian »

Then chances are you just may know who owns the black one local to me, he is a guy by the name of Mr Lucas and he owns/runs a local estate agency here in n.w.wales.

His car is in good nick, I doubt he doesn't know what he has, he is a very switched on kind of guy, I see him passing often with his elderly mum in the passenger and his shaved head and sharp looks in this rare dinky visa gti.
visagti
My Cars:

Post by visagti »

I've never heard of this car before, not sure if it's known to Mike or not?

I've seen a picture of a black one on the road the other day on a web site but not sure if that's the same one or not but chances are because so few now exist it is.

Here's a link I was given with the car on it.

http://autoshite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3819

Looking at the pics again it maybe a non sunroof model? The biggest killer of these cars was rot and the sunroof tray held water and rotted the tray. On top of that the tray had 4 drain holes that ran from each corner with 2 going to the rear running water down the boot colecting on the rear lights, under tham and rotting the back panel and chasis legs. The front drain holes rotted the front pillar's next to the front window. The bulkhead also went as the vents under the front window collected water and rotted this.

This may have lasted as most rot points are gone without the sunroof.

What a surprise a bad design to aid rust from Citroen that killed off most of these cars, this is why I'm wax oiling my rust free one before it starts as I doubt I will get another like this.
Visa Gti 105ch - red
Corsa CDTi SXI+
Impreza WRX Wagon
deian

Post by deian »

Thats the one! I reckon he's had it since day one as a "sJC" letter reg plate came from bangor area.

I've spotted two rareties lately, that blacked out cx hearse and the local estate agents runabout. He really does use it everyday. If he ever sells it and doesn't know what he has and it has a silly price i could sell it for a profit after some touching up.

How much would he get for that if he sold it now?
visagti
My Cars:

Post by visagti »

It's a bit of an unknown for price for these as most people don't know what it is and don't look out for them.

All that have been for sale over the past few years are basket cases and were rotten only making about £200 at the most.

I would have thought one with an mot would make in good solid condition at the most if you were very lucky £800

The last 2 I have bought were both none runners, the first I got off ebay for only £200 and it is rot free not even a spec of bubble rust but was lucky as I never looked at it before bidding and thought it was only going to be a good spares car. The 2nd I have only just got which has been stood in a barn for 12 years, this one is scabby but solid and only requires new brakes and good check before with a bit of luck an mot and on the road.

Problem is you can't get parts for these anymore, like the speedo that always stops working, the front lights etc all these are unique to the car so you have to get one that everything works but may just require a tidy or your never going to get it back on the road without a fight.
Visa Gti 105ch - red
Corsa CDTi SXI+
Impreza WRX Wagon