Xsara 2002 radio/stereo change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Road_Hog
My Cars:

Xsara 2002 radio/stereo change

Post by Road_Hog »

My wife inerited the inlaws Xsara earlier this year and has decided that the original cassette player needs to be swapped for a CD player.

A few questions, what type of removal tool is used to get the old one out, is it the same as Fords/Vauxhalls etc, where you use the U-shaped pullers on either side (she has the car at work, so I can't look at it at the moment). Is it a standard single DIN size fitting and does it have ISO connectors.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide any help with this.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

You don't say what year it is - they should all have standard ISO plugs, although late models would have multiplex wiring so you need to bugger about splicing a 12v feed from the cigarette lighter or similar.

You'll also need a fascia adapter:
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__xsara-fascia

Some need the u-shaped pullers, others unscrew when you unclip the surround
ImageImage
Road_Hog
My Cars:

Post by Road_Hog »

Ross_K wrote:You don't say what year it is - they should all have standard ISO plugs, although late models would have multiplex wiring so you need to bugger about splicing a 12v feed from the cigarette lighter or similar.

You'll also need a fascia adapter:
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__xsara-fascia

Some need the u-shaped pullers, others unscrew when you unclip the surround
Thanks, it's an 2002 reg, not sure of year of manufacture.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The radio is held in by 2 T-20 screws that are revealed once you pop off the plastic surround. The radio has ISO connections but but they are not wired as standard ISO connections as the car is multiplexed. If you just plug it straight in you may get some strange electrical problems with the display & central locking.
As said above you will need to run a seperate ignition feed to the new radio if you want it to work corectly.
See this post for more info > http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... iplex+feed Its for a C5 but the wiring is the same.
Its standard DIN size so it will fit straght in, you dont need that facia adaptor but it will look a bit better.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Road_Hog wrote:Thanks, it's an 2002 reg, not sure of year of manufacture.
Sorry I just noticed you put the year in the thread title... :oops:
ImageImage
Road_Hog
My Cars:

Post by Road_Hog »

Thanks for the replies guys, glad I asked before I sarted the job.

I just had a gut instinct that for someone reason it wasn't going to be straightforward with the Citroen.
bkbloke

Re: Xsara 2002 radio/stereo change

Post by bkbloke »

Road_Hog wrote:My wife inerited the inlaws Xsara earlier this year and has decided that the original cassette player needs to be swapped for a CD player.
I have an indentical situation. Ordinary Xsara 1.4 on a 51 plate. I want to change the radio cassette to radio cd player. The read out is a small panel above the unit and it also has the remote on the steering column.

I have been talking to Citroen tech service and they say they will sell me a unit but wont guarantee it will work! Also if I buy, they will not refund any money if it don't work!

Has anyone successfully done this transplant with the read out (which also gives info on time, temp, doors open etc) and remote still functioning?

BK Bloke

Need help guys pleeeeese.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Any aftermarket radio will work on any Xsara if you follow the instructions in the above link. You will loose the info from the radio on the display & the steering wheel remode controls but you will still have Clock, date, door open info etc.