Xantia diagnostic tools for laptop use??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Xantia diagnostic tools for laptop use??

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi, does anyone know please where i can obtain the best diagnostic software adapter plugs etc for use on our family Xantias? there are four 1.9 Turbo diesels in all ranging from 1995 to 2000.
I build computers as a hobby so putting together the right processor requirements memory etc is no problem at all.

my trouble is I have no knowledge of dianostic software and fault code readers, its a pain when an electrical problem persists and you think you have chased every possiable route and still never find the problem.

Our old mobile mechanic (no longer operating) was on the verge of kitting himself out with a laptop diagnosis program.

any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. regards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
mrlogik
My Cars:

xantia diag stuff

Post by mrlogik »

Hi fowmc [abbv] and all i just bought some kit to connect my xantia 2.0hdi 90 to my lap top from good ole flea bay after getting a little to smoky at the mot again, the cars using no oil in between 6k services and sips diesel so i figured seeing if there was an error message somewhere in there may help.Heres a link to what i bought as im a very competent pc user/builder i figured laptop type connector would suit me, others may prefer the all in one hand held gadget type,il let you know how i get on when i get time to plug the thing in wether it works http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Design-OBD2-3 ... id=p31.c0.
c5 hdi 110 lx
Xantia hdi forte 140,000 [sold]
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Is it as good as it sounds? For that kind of money it seems like a bargin!
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Too good to be true?

Post by Old-Guy »

Hi Nigel,

Even taking account of the total cost of £15.40 (including carriage by unspecified means), I can't see how it can be produced and sold so cheaply. Other similar devices that include the same chip cost around £100. :?

"If it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is."

You're risking less than £16, but I'd do some checking up before parting with my money.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Too good to be true?

Post by CitroJim »

Old-Guy wrote: "If it seems to be too good to be true, it probably is."
Sadly it will be :( Even if the thing works, it won't on a Xantia as none of them, even the very last, are EOBD-compatible for diagnostic puurposes.

Xantias can only be diagnosed using a pukka Citroen machine, either an ELIT or Lexia or one of the very expensive professional third-party tools made by the likes of Sykes Pickavant.

Basically these cheap diagnostic testers do work but only on an EOBD compatible vehicle. EOBD was made mandatory for petrol engines in 2001 and for diesels in 2004. Before that, each manufacturer could do as they pleased and both Citroen and Peugeot did!

Later Xantias confuse the issue by having a 16 pin EOBD style diagnostic connector but it is by no means EOBD compatible electronically.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mrlogik
My Cars:

Post by mrlogik »

Thats probably why the i couldnt get the thing to work sadly :cry:
c5 hdi 110 lx
Xantia hdi forte 140,000 [sold]