Quick Xantia II Question (Cruise Control) - Grovel Added!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Quick Xantia II Question (Cruise Control) - Grovel Added!

Post by addo »

I'm almost done fitting this to the SX estate, but need to know how the "brain" is strapped down in the console.

Can an obliging soul pop their oddments tray for a look, and report back?

There is a knockout panel in the carpet, slightly larger than a matchbox and adjacent to/covering a threaded stud. Is it fixed off to this with an M6×1 flanged nut, or just held onto the carpet with a cable tie (as per the originally unused plug)?

Hope someone can assist!

Thanks, Adam.
Last edited by addo on 14 Sep 2008, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

I can't help on you question addo but someone will be along shortly who can I'm sure

You say it's a SX estate your fitting it to, what engine?

Is it a factory unit that you have taken from a donor car?
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Toby_HDi wrote:I can't help on you question addo but someone will be along shortly who can I'm sure

You say it's a SX estate your fitting it to, what engine and gearbox?

Is it a factory unit that you have taken from a donor car?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Hi Toby, it's the XU10J4/AL4 combo; donor cruise "computer" from another Xantia II.

Wiring plugs were all there - it's just been a matter of adding the required components.

Regards, Adam.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Thanks for that.

Shame you didn't say the DW10ATED/ML5T combo

That's what I have and want to add cruise to it but I want the factory set up, not sure if it's possible though

Thanks
Toby
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The cruise control is a really simple unit. It basically feeds off the VSS signal, and regulates suction to maintain that reading. If the plugs are fitted, you'll be able to install it. Broken units are quite repairable, too - it's usually just solder joints expiring.

The computer is found in a bunch of PSA cars, as is the vacuum pump assembly. What varies are the brackets for mounting a couple of bits.

Peugeot had a facility for manual cars (D8 models of 406) with cruise; there was a pair of series switches on the brake and clutch. I think you could do similarly and splice in a series switch on the clutch pedal, to correspond with that on the brake controller which interrupts the cruise circuit.

I'd say have a little probe around, and if you can find your vacuum pump plugs cable-tied near the horn, and the console plug for the computer - it's all ready to rock.

BTW, has anyone been able to resolve the original question? :lol: I'll be happy to reciprocate with a full "how-to" for anyone tackling this in future...

Regards, Adam.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

From memory when I had my centre console out I think it's attached to an upright metal bracket, if I remember I'll have a look tomorrow to confirm unless someone beats me to it.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Would anyone be able to check this mounting suggestion and confirm/debunk it?

Looks like the cruise box is duff - I've got onto this thread, but don't hold out massive hope for my DIY prospects.

The "send it away to America for repair" option may yet be cheapest!

Regards, Adam.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Got the dry joints fixed, and it works. However - see my tragically bodged install:

That's wired to one of the rear mount studs for the plastic console proper.

I'd really like to know how it's done at the factory! Please, can someone help with a picture or parts diagram?

Thanks, Adam.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good on 'yer Adam, for fixing the ECU :D

There's a good article in this months Citroen Car Club magazine, the Citroenian, on cruise control with a good, simple technical description of how it all works. It's written for the XM but I believe the Xantia is very similar.

If you've not seen it, let me know and I'll scan the article for you.

I have some info on the Crusie Control in my library of MK1 Xantia manuals. If you'd like the full circuit and wiring diagrams let me know. According to the layout diagram, the ECU should live (on and RHD car) right below the drivers seatbelt reel at the very bottom of the "B" pillar, just behind the crossmember (i.e. in the same position the intruder alarm occupies on the opposite side).
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Right, I've just been out to look at the cruise box on the V6 and is is bolted in an upright position onto an L shaped metal bracket, so where your box is bolted to the chassis, that part would be bolted to the upright part of the L and the bottom of the L is then bolted to the chassis where you have it.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

:) Thanks very much.

With Stempy's description, I can reasonably identify P/N 6547 GT as the support bracket - confusingly labelled here as item 11:

Jim - I know my compatriot Pottsy is still keen to locate the (donor) cruise ECU in his MkI estate retrofit. We've sourced the factory wiring diagrams (courtesy of an AussieFrogs lurker) but there are not a lot of "hands on" Xantia people in Australia. He's about 600 miles away, which sort of stops me from just dropping by to help - but I can easily pass on your location tip.

Here, the cruise can be a licence saver. You get these amazing straight roads in the middle of nowhere and the involuntary reaction is to unthinkingly increase speed - not good with our heavy penalties! Driving an 83 Fuego in the photo.

Regards, Adam.