electric power steering pump pressure (Saxo, Xsara etc)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vanny
My Cars:

electric power steering pump pressure (Saxo, Xsara etc)

Post by vanny »

Does anyone know the max pressure derived by an electric hydraulic power steering pump as fitted to some saxo's/xsara's/106's/307's etc?

I'm in need of a 12v pump which can make upto around 110psi
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: electric power steering pump pressure (Saxo, Xsara etc)

Post by CitroJim »

vanny wrote: I'm in need of a 12v pump which can make upto around 110psi
For what Vanny, out of interest?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

in order to produce MAGIC!!!

(or instead of an engine driven hydraulic pump)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Right, so it shall remain a secret then Vanny :lol: Not an electric LHM pump then? If that were the case, you might be better off with an electric HP pump from a C5. It should be OK if you want to pump LHM with it.

Getting back to your original question, I believe these electric PAS pumps have been used to replace a normal engine driven PAS pump by some. 205GTi owners doing Mi16 conversions :evil: I seem to remember using them to keep thier PAS going but why anyone fels the need of PAS on a 205 is beyond me :?

Some Vauxhalls I believe also used an electric PAS pump.

Anyway, I digress. What about driving the engine driven pump with an electric motor?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

jim, it is in order to power a hydraulic LHM system. C5 pump was considered for all of 30 seconds until i realised that a) there expensive b) there not common in scrap yards yet.

Saxo pump seems the best bet as its easy to connect up (with rubber pipes, no need for complicated BSP connectors), i've considered driving regular pumps from an electric motor, but that means more space, more complexity, greater losses of power through transmission and probably an over sized unit that does a LOT more than it really needs to. A nice little PAS pump would be ideal as it is small, compact, 12v, will run on LHM happily, more than enough thru put BUT will it produce enough pressure, i total expect that it would but would like to be reassured!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's the worry Vanny. A true HP pump will go up to 170 odd bars and I reckon any electric PAS pump will struggle at that sort of pressure. Only one way to find out..

So you're planning a cunning anti-sink BX then? Run the pump every hour or so to keep it at ride height :lol:

Or is it a fix for Toddao's rapidly sinking BX?

Or are you creating an electric sphere tester?
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Have you driven a 205 diesel Jim? My mother had one and developed quite substantial arm muscles. When I brought it home I nearly drove straight across a roundabout. :shock: :)
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The saxo pump runs between 80-85 bar, the pump on the C4 goes up to 110 bar. Electric pumps were never fitted to the xsara.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I was thinking recently about being stuck in the back end of no where in a broken LHM car.... the un-towability is a pain really... a temporary way of getting LHM pressure would be a good addition to the toolkit..

Someone even told me planes have small wind operated pumps that drop out from wings, to power all the hydraulics when a plane's engines stop :)

edit..
I suppose taking the injectors or plugs out would help..
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Here's a thought.

The Pug 405 4WD estate has hydraulic rear suspension, spheres and all but only on the rear.

Would the pump from one of these do what you want???

To run a standard LHM pump from electric will take a lot of power, out test rigs in our workshop are electric and to get the system up to 175- will make a motor grunt a bit unless it is a realy powerfull one.

You can run a standard pump from an old starter motor, but these use a lot of power and are only designed for short busts of use.

Regards
Martin.
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Here's another thought!

After reading your first post properly :) I have realised that you want to produce 110 psi.

The Citroen hydraulic system runs at 175- max, this is equal to about 1'750 psi

The standard power steering (belt driven pump) runs at about 60- (approx 870 psi)

I would have thought that the electric system would be the same (ish)

What excactly are you planning? or is it a tip top secret mission?

I do know a bit about hydraulics and may be able to suggest something if I knew what you were up to.

Regards
Martin.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Have you driven a 205 diesel Jim? My mother had one and developed quite substantial arm muscles. When I brought it home I nearly drove straight across a roundabout.
Try a 305D PeterN....
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Pedant hat on...
Pleiades wrote:The Citroen hydraulic system runs at 175- max, this is equal to about 1'750 psi
175 bar is 2537 psi.

Pedant hat off 8)
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

lolingram wrote:
Have you driven a 205 diesel Jim? My mother had one and developed quite substantial arm muscles. When I brought it home I nearly drove straight across a roundabout.
Try a 305D PeterN....
Oh yes Peter :D

I've owned a non-PAS 205D, a 205D with PAS and a non-PAS 205GTi.

The non-PAS 205D had, to me, very pleasant steering, the PAS 205D is (my Dad still runs it), by my reckoning, far too light and the GTi at parking speeds was a little heavy but at speed, really rather good, steering weight-wise.

That's me and I'll freely admit to having plenty of upper body strength and my definition of light steering is not anyone elses. My Dad often compains his PAS 205D is heavy on the steering... So, in short, take no notice of what I say about steering weight :lol:

Is it me or is the steering on the FDV-equipped (very early) Xantias MUCH lighter than the steering on anti-sink Xantias with the 6+2 pump? My old 1.9TD seems so, so light in comparason to the 2.1TD and Activas.

I can't blame wider tyres as the 1.9TD wears 195s on alloy rims and I can't imagine those and the 205s on the 2.1 and Activa would have a huge effect on steering weight..
Jim

Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Richard,

I did make a cock up there, but if you want Pedantic, 175 bar = 2538.1604150 PSI

So there :twisted:

Regards
Martin.