Bad Paintwork on ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i used to work for a coach biulders in ASHFORD kent, i was the paint sprayer there, we were taught to brush paint the truck wheel arches, as they said the truck drivers climb in and out over the wheel arches, so brush painting gave a thicker coat, we used Tekaloid and harris supprime brushes, as they had very long soft bristles, once we had tacky dustered the arches of several times we would slap the paint on quite heavy, then with heavy brush strockes?? drag the brush across the wheel arch then with the slightest of preshure strat at the very top end and drag the brush the full length, repeat this wright acorr the width of the wheel arch,

you would not belive the arguments we had with people saying they had been sprayed,

and this was off the brush finnished

regards malcolm
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

Hand painting is one option. Another option is spraying it myself outside. I've done this before in the 80's and 90's using one of those all-in-one electric spray guns. In one case I changed a couple of bolt-on wings and sprayed the front end of a car. Another time I fixed a load of rust holes in the doors and sprayed the sides of a car. It's possible, but you're very dependent on the weather and I remember using lots of paint because the spray was blowing away before it got to the car. I moved the car to a garage eventually because the weather deteriorated.

I haven't got the spray gun or the garage anymore. However, I have got an Earlex Wet-and-Dry vacuum cleaner with a blow function. Earlex sell a spray gun for about 30 quid which can be attached to the vacuum cleaner and they say it can be used for spraying cars. It gives you the equivalent of a "High Volume Low Pressure" spraying system which is supposed to be better than high pressure compressor type systems. I've got some wooden doors in my house which I want to spray with varnish as well, so that might be another reason to buy the spray gun.

Paul
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you are going the self respray direction i would strongly advise, you looked into hireing a sray gun and compresor, you will instantly notice the diferance beween this and the equipment yopu mention, also it is not oly the wind factor the ambiant temprature is also very important,right through the drying process

regards malcolm
the_weaver
My Cars:

Post by the_weaver »

There are a lot of problems with spraying outside and the weather isn't that good at the moment. I think a complete respray of the roof might be a bit ambitious given the circumstances. I think the original plan of patching the clear coat with an aerosol is probably the best option. I might just resign myself to the fact that I'll have to keep patching it up every so often. Certainly, letting the clear coat fall off on it's own is the easiest way to get it off cleanly. Another way to get it off is to use masking tape. Just stick the masking tape on the bits of clear coat that look loose and pull the clear coat off with the tape, leaving the colour coat underneath.

Paul