Could you get 1000 miles to a tank in a Xantia?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stunned Monkey

Post by Stunned Monkey »

The mechanical pumps should be perfectly capable of no fuel when on overrun - fuelling is a function of engine speed and pedal position. The old K-Jetronic petrol systems that used electronic idle control would switch off the injectors on overrun.

I managed over 800miles on a tank completely by accident when moving house. It was almost all motorway mileage at around 70mph, half with a completely empty car towing my empty single axle trailer, the other half with the car and trailer stocked to the gills. The light came on at 750 miles, and I know I could have pushed to well over 800 if I didn't have to turn around and do another 150 miles!

I also managed to squeeze 72 litres into my tank once, and queried it with the garage owner. The pump was within allowable tolerance, apparently :evil:
Martin
-------
Old Faithful: Silver V-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, died due to tin worm @ 259k miles
New Faithful: Silver W-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, 169k miles and counting...
Previous: Various BX's, XM V6 24,
Venturi Atlantique 300, Alpine A610
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

No need to be cranky about how much you squeezed into the tank; it (tank capacity) tallies neatly with the experiences of others in both Australia and NZ. I don't think collusion between service stations could run that far. :wink:

Regards, Adam.
Stunned Monkey

Post by Stunned Monkey »

Never managed that much before or since though... still not convinced ;)
Martin
-------
Old Faithful: Silver V-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, died due to tin worm @ 259k miles
New Faithful: Silver W-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, 169k miles and counting...
Previous: Various BX's, XM V6 24,
Venturi Atlantique 300, Alpine A610
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'd like to correct the 3-400 miles on a tank I mentioned before, that was in Jim's 2.1TD where I was getting about 30mpg.

Cassy is coming up on 550miles of 100% veg and a bottle of Redex Boost, and that's with a trip down to Portsmouth and back doing 90+ for most of it, and hurtling around MK (too many roundabouts) getting up to 70mph between each one on the dual carriageways.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
deian

Post by deian »

Q: 1000 miles on a tank?
A: Possible, but unlikely, short answer, No

Just my opinion.
simoncanfer

Post by simoncanfer »

Well I have got 57mpg average on a 110HDi saloon, that would get me 878 miles on 70 litres.

I can easily believe the tank is larger than the claimed 65 litres as an indicated half tank took 40litres of fuel.

However - if you're driving an HDi - isn't there an argument that running the tank low overheats the in-tank pump leading to premature failure?

Shame that the most economical engine has this achilles heel!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Xac wrote:I'd like to correct the 3-400 miles on a tank I mentioned before, that was in Jim's 2.1TD where I was getting about 30mpg.

Cassy is coming up on 550miles of 100% veg and a bottle of Redex Boost, and that's with a trip down to Portsmouth and back doing 90+ for most of it, and hurtling around MK (too many roundabouts) getting up to 70mph between each one on the dual carriageways.
A 2.1 should be better than a 1.9, much more efficient engine, my XM will top 50 mpg and its heavier - unless yours is auto.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Re tank capacity - my last fill was 64.46 litres, and I was barely halfway into the red zone. Car ran comfortably with no carrying on under hard acceleration or uphill. (Cost of this quantity in premium unleaded was $105.01, or GBP£46.67)

I filled at the bowser where I'd seen a Gov't "weights and measures" guy doing a random check the week prior.

Regards, Adam.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:
Xac wrote:I'd like to correct the 3-400 miles on a tank I mentioned before, that was in Jim's 2.1TD where I was getting about 30mpg.
A 2.1 should be better than a 1.9, much more efficient engine, my XM will top 50 mpg and its heavier - unless yours is auto.
It is with me Peter :D My 2.1TD is so frugal that when the rare occassion arises that fuel is needed, I firstly need to determine which side of the car the filler is and then take a few moments to study the pump operating instructions :lol: Cobwebs grow across the filler cap...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

According to a BBC report there is an "eco-drive" today with the aim of getting the best mpg over a given route. The reporter said they achieved 70mpg getting there and that the top claim is currently over 80mpg.