Could you get 1000 miles to a tank in a Xantia?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Could you get 1000 miles to a tank in a Xantia?

Post by XantiaMan »

This person seems to think so (scroll down a bit)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... st12595647
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

When the fuel blockade was on in Sept 2000 as the week went on I got more and more careful and managed 64mpg out of my BX which normally gave me 50mpg. That's a 28% improvement. My current Xantia HDi is giving me 55mpg with normal behaviour, a 28% improvement on that would be 70.4mpg with the Xantia's 65 litre tank that would give you 1006 miles on a tank. Total conjecture but not beyond the possible given the right conditions (and incentive).
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

As an experiment, driving at 55 everywhere I could, coasting down hills, turning the engine off if going to be sat for longer than a minute, and slip streaming, I managed 816 from my '95 hatchback, and that was on cheap kumho tyres.
Don't see why you shouldn't be able to get 1000 miles.
Would be very boring though.

Currently I get 3-400 from a tank :oops:

Must remove that lead block from my right shoe somewhen ;)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Xac wrote:As an experiment, driving at 55 everywhere I could, coasting down hills, turning the engine off if going to be sat for longer than a minute, and slip streaming, I managed 816 from my '95 hatchback, and that was on cheap kumho tyres.

I thought that coasting isn't best way? Leaving in gear and applying no throttle means the injectors are off and so you don't use any fuel. Or have I got it completely wrong with diesels?

It would be nice for my HDi to get 1000, and I reckon it could. As you say though, very boring :lol: and you couldn't carry much weight either.

3-400!! from a 1.9TD :lol: that's actually insane. You really must have lead boots
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would think that a 2.1td could, they are better than the 1.9. I dont know what the capacity of the Xantia tank is but my XM with a 17 1/2 gallon tank regularly exceeds 800 miles without trying to hard. On the journey we do once or twice a year to the north of Scotland, between Tesco's in Axminster and Tesco's in Inverness usually gives me around 55 mpg, I make that 877 miles to completely empty the tank, but that's mainly motorway miles, it doesn't do quite as well in the mountains!

But that's not really trying, I try to drive economically, light throttle, keeping the revs down, no unnecessary braking etc but still doing 60 - 70 mph, I reckon with a bit of restraint 1000 miles would be feasable.

Anyone like to sponser me? :)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The tank capacity is actually more than 65 litres, so you should find the "magic thou" a snack with such excellent economy.

One guy here reported running until it started coughing (just as he pulled into the service station, too!) - he then got a hair over 70 litres into the tank. Our pumps are pretty accurate with volume; it's the staff and their shortchanging skills one has to watch.

FWIW my fuel consumption is 12.2 pence/mile, converted - petrol engine, though.

Cheers, Adam.

p.s. The Australian tank is no different to the UK one in P/N.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Toby_HDi wrote:
Xac wrote:As an experiment, driving at 55 everywhere I could, coasting down hills, turning the engine off if going to be sat for longer than a minute, and slip streaming, I managed 816 from my '95 hatchback, and that was on cheap kumho tyres.

I thought that coasting isn't best way? Leaving in gear and applying no throttle means the injectors are off and so you don't use any fuel. Or have I got it completely wrong with diesels?

It would be nice for my HDi to get 1000, and I reckon it could. As you say though, very boring :lol: and you couldn't carry much weight either.

3-400!! from a 1.9TD :lol: that's actually insane. You really must have lead boots
It's all mechanical, so the pump sprocket turns, the pump pumps, and the injectors squirt.
If you could disengage the sprocket or control the flow to the injectors (such as with an electronic pump) then yes it'd use no fuel, but in gear or in neutral, if your foot is off the throttle it's using the same amount (ie tick over amount).

DIY sphere tool
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I've once had a hair over 800 from a tnak once but very boring driving to be honest and it was on about 65litre rapeseed, 5(ish)litres of bp ultimate to keep it thinned down.

Lorries do look quite intimidating when you are that close up though!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Going down hill with the throtle closed will only admit fuel at tickover rate, which is very little, whether in gear or not, The only way you would save any is by turning the engine off, which makes it a bit difficult to steer and stop :shock: ... apart from being illegal.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Unless you leave it in gear and turn the engine off, ie to the accessories position? that way the HP pump is still being turned over and the fuel pump cant draw any fuel :)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

KP wrote:Unless you leave it in gear and turn the engine off, ie to the accessories position? that way the HP pump is still being turned over and the fuel pump cant draw any fuel :)
Then you will have engine braking which will slow you down quicker so you'll not travel as far, have to start the engine again and use fuel to gain speed to then engine brake and repeat.

DIY sphere tool
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ah yes but for example( as happens a lot in my travels to a from work) if you are approaching a rail crossing and you are doing the national speed limit( :) )and see the barriers go down or know you will be waiting a while, you can slip the igntion to MAR and then coast down safely to near stopping speed while still in gear and just dip the clutch at the last second as you would do normally and use the footbrake. this saves some fuel and some brake pad material :)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The only problem with that is, the fuel solonoid closes when you switch the ignition off and the pump is still trying to pump - result? - Air in the pump and it wont start - guess how I know :oops:
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Where does it pul the air from though on a sealed system?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't know ... but try it! :? Unless there is some other reason for it being reluctant to start .. but I can't think of one.