C8 rear silencer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mips

C8 rear silencer

Post by mips »

I need to replace rear silencer on my C8 2.0 petrol, and so far got quoted some ridiculous money for it ~£220 just for parts. I consider that a simple rip off.
Any advice how to find a cheaper solution?
I can find cheap Synergie rear silencer but not sure if they match.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

not sure on the price but if you look up BOSALS web site you can get the BOSAL and O/E part No's., which might be usefull
regards malcolm
mips

Post by mips »

I checked Bosal and they make exhaust only for diesel models 2.0 HDi and 2.2 HDi. Nothing for petrol C8. I found the same problem when I was checking Kwik-Fit, etc.
They do have parts for Synergie and old Ulysse and prices for these are very reasonable. However, can I use them?
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

You should get a more reasonable quote from an independant exhaust centre if you want them to fit it. Failing that, have you tried GSF or Euro Car Parts? Then there's all the local motor factors dotted around the industrial estates or high streets.

If you search ebay for Citroen exhausts, you should also find many online businesses that you can contact directly. That's how I got my cat' for the Ford at under £50 whereas the Kwik-Fit group wanted over £200.
mips

Post by mips »

MikeT,
I tried all of that. Searched ebay, googled Internet, visited a number of local shops and none of them was able to supply rear silencer for C8 petrol. Local shops can only supply main dealer part (>£200) - no alternatives. The same story on ebay and Internet - I can find plenty of rear silencers for petrol Synergie, 806, old Ulysee, but nothing for their new versions C8, 807 or new Ulysee.
:(
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

have you enquired about getting a custom stainless steel one made ? its usually a lot cheaper than dealer prices.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

maybe the diesel one on BOSALs site will fit a petrol as well,

were abouts are you, as im in east sussex and i have a couple of new genuine pug exhaust rear boxs, some of the pug boxs cross over to citroens
regards malcolm
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I would not recommend fitting a diesel silencer to a petrol engine, as the characteristics of the exhaust pulses (at light throttle) are different, and a diesel silencer can be too resonant.

I looked at http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk . They don't list the C8 on their website, but it would be worth giving them a call.