C5 screenwasher wiring help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

C5 screenwasher wiring help

Post by civvie »

My screen washers have stopped working, I have taken out the wheel arch panel and disconnected the electric plug from the pump hoping to test for a 12v supply at the pump, but the plug has another spare wire?
I have 3 wires going into the plug, on the back is marked 1,2,3 by the wires, No.1 is a white wire, No.2 is also a white wire, No.3 is a green wire. Which of these can I use to try and find if I have a supply to the motor. You can say I am some what wary of the electric system used on these cars, ( don't want to make an expensive mistake) am more used to the older system. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Steve
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Hello, don't know if it helps, but I believe the pump spins its impellor in a different direction depending on if its front or rear wash you want. Perhaps one wire is a ground and the other two are the posatives?
Do you get any noise at all from the pump when you work it? I think the blades often go. I know mechanics that replace them often on modern cars.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
civvie
(Donor 2020)
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

A follow up to the first post. I have managed to strip a bit more IE move the bumper out and I can now see my original question was not the pump. I have gotten the washer bottle out, took it down to the shed and connected a 12v supply direct to the pump, it worked! I then got my voltmeter to the TWO wires that go into the pump connection, turned ign on then operated the washers 12 volt shows on my volt meter, so power is getting to the pump. I took out this connector thing that also pushed into the bottle ( the one with 3 wires) it seems it could be some kind of sensor to check if water is in the bottle as there are 2 metal prongs sticking out that would conduct electricity. I tried to check the continuity of this, the pin that had the green wire connects to has continuity with one of the metal prongs, the other prong doesn't get a response from the other 2 wires, both white. Could this sensor be duff? can it be bypassed. Is there anything else that the washers are linked too? Am still intrigued about these 3 wires in the first post. Mooseshaver, thanks for the input but alas that's not the answer this time.

Help please.
Steve
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

I've ordered the Haynes manual, so if its released on time I might have it early Sept. Perhaps that might say.
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I emailed Haynes and they say the C5 manual won't be until December!

The washer fuse is under the bonnet, fuse number 14 if I remember correctly. I was in a hurry and checked the fuse in the glovebox by mistake!

The pumps are cheap to replace at £8-10 ish from a dealer.

Ben
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

December? Ah well, I can't fix cars anyway. I only wanted it so someone else might be able to.

I don't remember my washer pump being expensive
Gone cars.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

you never said if it makes a noise when you operate the washers ?
if it does then the pump is knackered or there is a blockage.
Fuse 14 of the under bonnet fusebox is correct, the same pump does the front and rear washers (if fitted). at rest both wires should be a good earth, when the fronts are operated one of them should go to battery voltage & the other stays earthed, this is then reversed to operate the rear.
civvie
(Donor 2020)
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

Thanks Wheeler for the reply, sorry mate, no the pump does not make a noise when operating the washers, its dead. That's what is so funny about this. The pump works if I give it a direct supply from my battery charger, and if I connect a volt meter to the two wires that supply the pump and operate the washers there is a reading of 12 volts! yes I have made sure the contacts are clean and they touch. just checked fuse 14, its ok. I don't have washers at the rear only front, well when they work I do.

2.2 hdi hatchback auto 02 plate.

Wish I kept my first car Ford zephyr Mk1 it didn't have all this fancy stuff.

Steve