Brake caliper pins

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Brake caliper pins

Post by Stempy »

It's never that simple is it? Went to replace the discs and pads this afternoon and the pins are seized solid. :roll: Anyone experienced who could pass on a little advice, Haynes says 'simply drive out the pins with a punch'! Grrrr

Also, are the pin sets available from anywhere other than Citroen as they're £20 odd a side and this is getting to be an expensive hobby?
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I normally use an old small philips screwdriver and a lump hammer to "gently" drift the pins out.
Make sure you've removed the securing clips though as they tend to snap leaving a bit through the pin's hole preventing their removal.
If that happens, drift them out if the pin hole with an even smaller screwdriver.

Spraying with half a can of WD40 etc also helps.
I greased mine before refitting them last time.
If your securing clips have snapped, try a paperclip (one of mine was actually kept in place by a bent staple!)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

try your local factors for a pad fitting kit, this should include every thing for both sides, if its the AX you are talking, the other thing they suffer with is the smaller calliper slide binnding, as its a rubber sleave with a nylon insert, and what happens is the alloy of the calliper grows and crushes the sleave, wich stopes the calliper slidding as it should , then you end up with over heated and warpped discs
regards malcolm
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Yes it's the AX alright. It's strange but there are no retaining clips on the pins, they just seem to be pushed in, trouble is I can't push them out again. May have to remove the caliper if all else fails.

Lexia ponce

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh, so it's the AX Stempy. I know those pins so well and I've fought battles with them in the past when I had an AX. Shocking design :twisted:

The only answer is as Xac says, drift 'em out but use Plus Gas rather than WD to start the process along. It is far more effective, albeit far more expensive.

I used a proper pin punch that was just a tad smaller than the diamater of the pins and whacked them out with a biggish hammer (might even have been a club hammer!)

I don't think taking the calipers off will help, best to do them in-situ and it also avoids more potential aggro with the bleed nipples. Chances are they're well seized and will shear at the sight of a spanner :twisted: It's aggro you don't want just yet but if they do shear, it's not too bad a job to drill them out and carefuly tap the caliper to take the next nipple size up.

Once the pins start to move, the game is won. Do, as Malcolm says and get a new fitting kit as the old pins will be a bit the worse for wear when they do let go. You may find that oce they start it'll help to rotate them using a good pair of those pliers that some call water pump pliers.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Ok thanks all, I shall avail myself of a pin punch then prepare for some BF&I. I've already given them a good soaking in penetrating fluid (strange stuff, smells of mothballs). Oh the joys of Citroen ownership. ](*,)

Lexia ponce

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i find diesel fuel is a very good releasing agent, also if i remebber the pins have almost a pointed endon the outer end,and the other they have like a small spring steel collar which locks them in place, you drift them at the pointed end towards the engine bay

regards malcolm
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Ahh, so there's a spring collar, I wondered what kept them in place, other than crud and corrosion. Unfortunately I don't own a diesel vehicle from which to nick some fuel.

Lexia ponce

handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Stempy, you can also use automatic transmission fluid as a penetrating fluid. I would also suggest if the pins are really stuck with crud, clean around them with some heat and a wire brush, then apply the penetrating fluid, but not near a naked flame, otherwise we'll have "Burnt AX Stempy". :shock:

Handyman
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Mmmm, the blowtorch method did cross my mind but I'll try without first, I've given them a good clean up and soaked them in fluid, I'll give them another squirt tonight and get hold of some new pins and a pin punch, then I can spend a nice bank holiday weekend smacking the hell out of them 8)

Lexia ponce

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Stempy wrote:Mmmm, the blowtorch method did cross my mind but I'll try without first, I've given them a good clean up and soaked them in fluid, I'll give them another squirt tonight and get hold of some new pins and a pin punch, then I can spend a nice bank holiday weekend smacking the hell out of them 8)
If you're thinking about using heat bear in mind that the numerous rubber bits (e.g. flexible hoses) will not like the hot exhaust from your torch and the fact that everything is coated with oil may be a problem too.

My tip would be to use the largest most solid drift (round bar, pin punch etc) that you can get onto the pin. Make sure that the end of the drift is flat and that you get it square on the pin when you hit it with the hammer otherwise it'll not transfer the impact to the pin. Once the big drift gets it to move, you can knock it through the hole with one more suited to the size of the hole.

Xac's suggestion of an old philips screwdriver would work if its the "knock through" type with a metal end on the handle and you're prepared to grind the philips end off i.e. turning it into a pin punch with a nice handle.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Cheers all, the battle is now won and the AX is now a good 'un. Well, as good as an AX gets. :wink:

Lexia ponce