HDi Exclusive issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stunned Monkey

HDi Exclusive issues

Post by Stunned Monkey »

Hi All,

I joined the forum a couple of days ago after reading all about why my car drops like a stone when the door is opened, after sitting for an hour or two. Very enlightening!

I thought I'd introduce myself, and my car, and hopefully you guys might be able to shed some light on some other, relatively minor issues I've had...

I bought the car at 6 months old, and with just 21k miles on the clock. It's been my rock ever since and with just shy of 200,000 on the clock now, I've just had the cam belt and idlers done, and the AC topped up (only needed 300g from new!). The only out-of-the-ordinary problems I've had have been a failed air mass meter, a rear height corrector (twice), and a split interooler hose.

The only failures have been the driver's side rear window - it's an electrical problem, and I'm interested to know where to start looking? It's not the fuse. It just decided one day not to work any more.

The stranger one is the power feed to the indicator stalk - mercifully this happenned when I was standing still, with all the front lights on (helping a mate move stuff in his unlit garage at night). EVERYTHING suddenly dropped out. Only the indicators continued to work. I traced the cause to the two wires that feed power to the indicator stalk that allows it to switch sides, heads and fogs on (both front and rear). No fuses were found popped.

This was about 4 years ago and I've had an ugly wire running directly from the battery, scotch-locked onto the wires under the stalk ever since. Does anyone know where this power feed might have failed?
Martin
-------
Old Faithful: Silver V-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, died due to tin worm @ 259k miles
New Faithful: Silver W-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, 169k miles and counting...
Previous: Various BX's, XM V6 24,
Venturi Atlantique 300, Alpine A610
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A very warm welcome Martin :D

It is always good to hear of a happy long-term relationship with a Xantia. It just shows that with a miidicum of TLC, they can be brilliant!

The electrical problem may be down to a corroded wire in the loom that runs across the front of the car just below the radiators. Water gets in and does its worst to the rather French wiring. Not a Citroen strong point :twisted:

Likewise your door problem. Chances are a wire has broken in the rubber bellows between teh B post and the door. Quite a common occurrance, especially on Estate tailgates.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Martin, welcome.

As a matter of interest, what were the symptoms when your air mass meter failed?

Rory
Stunned Monkey

Post by Stunned Monkey »

Hi Roy,

The turbo wouldn't boost at all (because the ECU was preventing it) and it'd smoke like the proverbial. It'd then suddenly catapult forward and drive fine until the next time I dropped to idle, then it'd do it again, and in pulling away, I'd often stall. You can imagine what this was like coming out of the Dartford tolls.... It also drove like an XUD, only boosting from 2500.

For a while, I was convinced the turbo was up the spout - given the smoking and erratic boost behaviour. The ECU checker revealed both lean and rich conditions detected... so the best guess turned out to be correct, and the air mass meter was replaced.

I have had one other instance of the engine light coming on (other than the split intercooler hose) and thanks to the experience of Bob at Triple A Citroen, it was a blocked nozzle on the vacuum pump. I think I got charged a packet of Jaffa cakes for that one :D

If you're in the south east, I can highly recommend those guys, BTW.

Jim, thanks a million for the input, if you think the Xantia is bad for French electrics, try Venturi !!!
Martin
-------
Old Faithful: Silver V-reg Xantia HDi Exclusive, died due to tin worm @ 259k miles
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Thanks Martin

I can imagine it was a bit of a pig to drive. I'm up int' North, near Leeds. On my 3rd Xantia and 5th Citroen. 8 weeks into HDi ownership after my 2.1td went bang with a cambelt problem. HDi has a fault where the engine speed will increase on its own to between 2500 and 3000 rpm before dropping back. I'm sure its a duff sensor or connection but not sure which - hence my question.

Rory
Stunned Monkey

Post by Stunned Monkey »

Unless you get any answers here, I'll ask the guys at triple A if you like.
Martin
-------
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

That's most kind of you Martin

Regards

Rory