Coolant Change on Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Coolant Change on Xantia

Post by red_dwarfers »

The two year coolant change is ready (rad changed in 2006 according to history) on the Xantia! And its my first time doing one 8)
I've familiarised myself with the BoL section on it and it seemed 'simple' enough so I began to give it a shot...

I've drained the coolant out of the rad using a cunningly modified 4pt milk carton and the stuff seems blue. I gather that this is the wrong type of coolant for the Xantia too as it should be red.

I presume that the best thing for me to do now is to either flush everything through, or find this mysterious drain plug on the cylinder block (any ideas?)

When I do come to put the new coolant in (50% anti freeze/50% dewhatsitized water) I think im right in saying that I make myself up a header tank and drain through until I get the mixture out of a bleed screw somewhere around the thermostat housing then do this one up, switch the engine on and wait for the thermostat to open and let more fluid down through to the bottom of the rad, I then wait for all the air bubbles to come out.
The BoL also says something about a bleed screw around the heater matrix pipes, I could do with some direction finding this one as well as the bleed screw around the thermostat housing.

If I have missed anything out please correct me!

Cheers
Kev
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Right, sort of answered one of my own questions :lol:
I've found the bleed screw for the heater matrix.

So I just need some guidance with draining any excess fluid out of the system and a bit of help regarding putting the new coolant back in :wink:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Kev,

Blue antifreeze is fine in a 50/50 ratio. In fact if blue stuff has been used DON'T use red unless you give the system a complete flush out to remove every trace of the blue. Red and blue don't mix. Id's stick with plue and change it regularly.

I agree about using demineralised water.

Bleeding is easy on a 1.9TD. Just fill up the system, massage the top hose with the expansion tank cap off to dislodge any big air poskets, keep topping up until full. Be aware that the system holds about 7 litres in total and due to air locks it can seem full after about 2 or 3 litres have been poured in. Squeezing the top hose and opening the matrix bleeder and the one by the engine mount on the three-way pipe junction will soon dislodge the big air locks.

Start up with the cap off and allow to warm up whilst massinging the top hose. Keep the engine running, giving it a rev every now and again until the thermostat opens. Top up if necessary and keep it running until the fans cut in.

Put the cap on, take it for a spin, come back, let it cool a bit and recheck the level. When cold, check the level again and top up if necessary.

Job done!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Jim, am I right in thinking that de-ionized (not demineralised) water should never be used?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:Jim, am I right in thinking that de-ionized (not demineralised) water should never be used?
This subject sparked a big debate on another forum back in the past and current thinking is that dmin water is a good idea, especially up around our way because our tap water is so hard. Some people use proper distilled water and that is the best if you can get it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...