Heater/Blower Fan dying?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Heater/Blower Fan dying?

Post by KP »

For some reason today after i stalled the engine(not paying attention in traffic and tried to start off in 3rd instead of 1st..... :oops: ) and when i restarted it the blower fan went to full speed and stayed there. Now i tried shutting the engine off and leaving it a few seconds and then kicking it back in, even gave it 20minutes before trying again and its still the same :(

Have i killed the slider switcher from what i've read its that or the blower fan thats dead but normally it would not work at all if it was the blower and if it was the switch it seems to go into low speed from what i can find on here in my searchs of the fault...

Any ideas as to why it would go full speed? Tried temp changing, AC on, recirc on and still same. rear demister still seems to work as does radio and other electrical goodies so i dont think its the ign barrel fault ive seen reported before on here.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

It’s the 'shorted transistors' fault instead. :mrgreen:
Our tribal elder, Jim, has made a very neat little guide to replace them:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=22398

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=22348

Image Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Thanks Cloggz, Pm on its way Jim :)
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Thank you Jim Ill try and get it off this evening so i can send it down to you with the crisp note :)

Big thank you to Jim for offering to do this for me even though he has just come out of A&E :shock:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote:Thank you Jim Ill try and get it off this evening so i can send it down to you with the crisp note :)

Big thank you to Jim for offering to do this for me even though he has just come out of A&E :shock:
Happy to help KP :D Gives me something to do whilst I regain full health :wink:

A full explanation will appear in my blog entry shortly.. Happily what happened was in no way connected with Citroens :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
pikecrazy
My Cars:

Post by pikecrazy »

KP wrote:Thank you Jim Ill try and get it off this evening so i can send it down to you with the crisp note :)
I can vouch that he does a top job 8)
2013 Berlingo Multispace 1.6 XTR 115bhp
2003 2:0 HDI Dispatch Van 186000 miles......gone
2000 Xantia Hdi 90bhp Forte Estate 97000 miles gone..........to heaven
New High pressure Fuel Pump and Patched ECU , Blower Module fixed by CitroJim :-)
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Big Thanks to Jim for his help fixing this for me :)

Worked all fine when i tested it at low speed before refitting back into its proper place in the dash, then silly me dropped the bugger adn the fan is now in bits :cry: so guess i need to hunt one out from a scrappies now :(

Anyone know if ones from a 406 or 306 will be the same at all as the local pug/cit place near me only has pugs being broken at the minute?

Big thanks again to jim, super job and quick return as well :D
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

look at the citroen breaker post i started a few day ago, PCR Lancing, they do a mail order service
regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote: then silly me dropped the bugger adn the fan is now in bits :cry:
:cry: :cry:

Did the module at least survive OK?

I have a feeling the fan is a pretty common item across the PSA range so take the bits along to a scrappy and it should be possible to match one up. They all look very similar...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Oh yeah jim its all survided, casing motor and all, just the rotor fan has died. think due to age it didnt survive very well. Will see what i can dig up from the local pug breakers then as its cased onto the motor by the look of it but at least the motor comes out.

Thanks again guys :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's good news :D and pleased the repaired module got to you safely...
Jim

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ok tried a blower motor out of a 406 and i think the way it sits in the cowling its not right or the blades themselves cant pull the air thru properly.

When the fan is fitted there is a small gap from it being sat right at the top, about 2cm. Now there is an indent so im sure the indent should sit on the inside of the fan blades so the air is froced from the centre of the motor to the outter, and due to this gap the correct pressure cant be applied and the air just leaks away.
I tried raising the motor and fan assembly up inside the casing by resting it on some plastic but the blades started to contact the indent at the top frame just slightly so i think its just a bit small :(

Going to phone another scrappy locally and see if there is a fan on one of their xantias as i think being an AC model the fan must be a bit bigger, higher flowing dur to the restriction of the AC codensor and the air filter as well compared to a normal fan.

Dam citroen for not fitting removable blades to their blower fans :(
Well easily removable ones anyway...

Thanks for the help again guys, Specially Jim for his work on the thyristor(SP?) assembly :)