ZX 1.9 D - EGR valve - blanking off

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

joss
My Cars:

Post by joss »

Well somethings up - I have blocked up the vacuum pipe with a chunky screw, car is still running really well, but is suddenly very difficult to start, whereas it was an easy starter before. Any suggestions?

Also seems to be idling faster - 900ish
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Apart from checking you haven't accidentally introduced a fault, we'll have to assume this is a seperate fault and start at the beginning. Are all the glow plugs working? Does priming the fuel bulb make any difference? Is the air filter clean?

This is what worries me about using easystart - I can't remember the exact problem but I think it makes the engine harder to start normally, requiring more use of the easystart; which must be what the AA mechanic meant when he said to me engines get "addicted" to it.

If 900rpm is fast, what was the original idle speed? It should idle appx 1100rpm when cold.

Is the chunky screw making a good seal? Perhaps a bit of sealant or PTFE tape would ensure this.

Anyone else got any suggestions?
joss
My Cars:

Post by joss »

I'm going to try and improve the seal.

I don't think it is plugs, fuel lines or air filter as I checked all those when trying to identify the smoke problem. I am sure it is a direct result of removing the EGR as the difference is so startling (as is the difference in performance).

I didn't note the previous idle speed but it is audibly faster (I also asked my other half and he agreed it was noticably faster) - possibly it was too slow before?

I read your posts from last year re fast idle problems and disconnecting the vacuum - what was your conclusion? I can't feel vacuum when the car is idling either, but disconnecting certainly altered something!
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

The glow plugs might have been alright previously but I'm skeptical about how much damage the easystart can do. All four of my glow plugs needed changing which is pretty remarkable if the car had been starting on just one plug before.

If you pull the vacuum feed pipe (from the vacuum pump) off the solenoid t-piece, then you'll experience the vacuum and know what you're looking for post solenoid side.

I was advised to test the solenoids with a direct 12v from the battery but couldn't get the contacts in-situ so opted to remove them and brought them indoors for testing off a power supply. Both had died. It seems these solenoids are short-lived efforts so didn't bother replacing them, just lived with the fast idle.

My current xantia has failed solenoids also. :roll: