glow plug relay - xantia TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wonderd

glow plug relay - xantia TD

Post by wonderd »

In the last week or two, i had strange noise coming out of the glow plug relay, now i took it out for inspection - how do i disassemble the device?
Xantia 2.0L 16V manual trans. 96
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
jmd
My Cars:

Relay

Post by jmd »

I do not think you can disassemble it, but you can pick one up in a breakers yard for very little money, (€10-00 in my case) . One from an old Pug diesel will also do the job. Check the wiring from the relay. My relay was giving trouble and having renewed twice i decided to investigate further & found thet I had a bare wire earthing itself against the body of the car. Insulation tape did the job & all was fine
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I took the knackered Bosch one from my ZX TD apart...you have to break the bottom skirt part of the case to get it apart, unless your an electronics engineer with a lot of time on your hands there is nothing inside to fix...it's all resistors & chips etc.

I just went to the scrappy & one seemed to find its way into my pocket :D ...strangely enough it was from a Xantia 1.9 TD but as already mentioned the same relay is used on the Pug 1.9 TD's as well as on some Fiat's, Rovers & Seat's

The part number for the Bosch 1.9 TD relay is 0 281 003 005 this is quite clearly marked on the outside of the relay.

Make sure you get one from a 1.9 TD engined vehicle as in my experience the ones from the non turbo engines are different.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

Thanks, i will go to the closest scrap yard and look for it (i actually know a place that have a 1.9l TD).

Elad.
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Before condemming the relay, check all glowplugs are OK. A short-circuit one can cause the same effect.

Because glowplugs have such a low resistance, it is hard to test for a short-circuit one so disconnect each in turn and see if the noise stops.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

There is a loose part inside the the relay, I put it back in place yesterday and since the noise stopped.
Xantia 1.9L TD 99