Expansion tank cap

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Spud
My Cars:

Expansion tank cap

Post by Spud »

Hiya folks!!
My Xantia is going in for the MOT on Thursday, as a matter of course of checking fluids etc prior to this, I have noticed that the expansion tank cap has no rubber seal.
Is this correct? All I can see is that it is hard nylon on the bottom of the cap to the hard plastic of the expansion tank......

All the best

Spud 8)
1996 Xantia 2.0CT Estate
1997 Toyota Hilux Surf 3.0TD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Spud,

No that's not right. Basically, your system will be unable to pressurise properly and you are likely to loose coolant through the overflow.

The loss of the rubber is a common failing on the original equipment caps.

Have a look on the seating surface in the expansion tank, you might see it stuck there.

In any case, time for a new one although it is likely to be a metal one that is supplied.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Spud
My Cars:

Post by Spud »

Hiya thanks for that info. I am off for a few days so might visit some scrapyards to see if I can acquire one.

All the best

Spud 8)
1996 Xantia 2.0CT Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Spud wrote: I am off for a few days so might visit some scrapyards to see if I can acquire one.
That's where I get mine from Spud :lol: You'll find out just how many are suffering the same problem as yours then...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Spud
My Cars:

Post by Spud »

That doesn't sound too promising then :( Any idea on the cost of a new one from Citroen?

All the best

Spud 8)
1996 Xantia 2.0CT Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Spud wrote:Any idea on the cost of a new one from Citroen?
Assuming it's a 1.9TD Spud, Part No. 1306 C7. Cost around £5.50...
Jim

Spud
My Cars:

Post by Spud »

Got one from the scrappy today!!..... I asked how much, they said I could just have it....

Mines a 2.0 litre petrol... The Activa engined one :wink:

All the best

Spud 8)
1996 Xantia 2.0CT Estate