Warning light help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

p3dro

Warning light help!

Post by p3dro »

Hi everyone, could someone please tell me what the orange warning light on the dashboard means?
I have a Xantia 98 1.8 LX Estate Manual.
I bought her about 1 month ago and don;t have the manual to check what the light means - it's a weird shape on the far left of the console, with what I can only describe as possibly an orange engine and a black K shape in it!? (excuse my artistic impression of it!)
Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks!
Pete
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's your Engine Management Light, also known as the "K" light. So-called because the K is an approximation of the schematic symbol for a transistor so the full symbol of a transistor inside an engine is telling you the Engine ECU has a fault or faults stored.

You will need a diagnostics session to determine the cause and to enable you to make a repair and put the light out.

Is the engine showing any obvious performance issues? A clue to rough running may enable the problem to be revealed without formal diagnostics.

If you have the radio code, it is worth disconnecting the battery for an hour to reset the ECU. This may extriguish the light if the original cause of the light illuminating has been cleared.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I thought it meant the engine was Kaputt. :twisted:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:I thought it meant the engine was Kaputt. :twisted:
:lol: :lol: Only in the case of a German car Steve! What's the French word that mean approximately the same?

Pete, if you should be anywhere near me, pop over for a quick (free) diagnostics session.

Secondly, if you live anywhere near the route between here and South Somerset, something could be arranged. I regularly travel up and down that way, usually the A421/A34/A303 or the A420/A361.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
p3dro

Post by p3dro »

thanks citrojim, that's really helpful, and thank you too for the offer but I'm actually in west London so I think I'm a bit far away from you! ...better look for a garage that can do it closer to home!

myglaren - GULP! :shock: