HDi Fuel Pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ianrobbo
My Cars:

HDi Fuel Pump

Post by ianrobbo »

2000 2.0 HDi, just the other day I noticed that what I guess to be the tank fuel pump has got very noisy. Turn on the ignition and I get a really quite loud d-d-d-d-d-d-d sound for a few seconds. Then start the engine, and you can hear the sound again, like it's coming from the fuel tank.

Did a search and found this:
HDi fuel pump

When the guy suggests replacing the fuel filter and its housing, are we talking about the one in the engine bay, or is this another filter down by the fuel tank itself?

The engine bay fuel filter housing on mine is leaking, I think maybe from the drain tap, so it probably needs replacing anyway.

Look forward to your comments!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the one in the engine bay.
ianrobbo
My Cars:

Post by ianrobbo »

Thanks Wheeler,

And why would this fuel filter housing cause the fuel pump to make this sound? Is it something to do with air ingress? (my filter housing does seem to be leaking). Might this bring on the check engine light?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Oddly mine has gone quiet since I posted that, so is still on the to do list....

I think that if there is any pulsation from the LP pump in the tank, then it can set up a resonance with the filter causing the loud noise. If you listen near the tank and the filter whilst the ign is switched on then you should be able to isolate the noise. The filter is not expensive as a unit (£45 or so from GSF) - a lot cheaper than a new HP pump if it doesn't do it job properly (as has been known....)
Richard W
ianrobbo
My Cars:

Post by ianrobbo »

Richard,

May be a silly question, but does the GSF unit come with a filter already installed, or is it necessary to buy that in addition?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Don't know, as I haven't bought one yet... :? Best bet is to phone and ask them - then let me know what they say 8)
Richard W
ianrobbo
My Cars:

Post by ianrobbo »

Checked out Euro Car Parts, their website definitely says filter AND housing, it's a bit cheaper, and there's one really close by!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

If you want to make obsolutely sure there's a filter element in there without taking the top of the housing off undo the drain screw at the bottom of the housing and gently poke something like the tip of a (clean!) watchmakers screwdriver in through the hole. If there's an element it will meet resistance almost immediately. If it will go right in then there's nothing inside!

Perhaps I'm paranoid, but it would be just my luck to get one that somebody at the factory forgot to put a filter in :lol:
pikecrazy
My Cars:

Post by pikecrazy »

ianrobbo wrote:Richard,

May be a silly question, but does the GSF unit come with a filter already installed, or is it necessary to buy that in addition?
Yes it comes with one :wink:
2013 Berlingo Multispace 1.6 XTR 115bhp
2003 2:0 HDI Dispatch Van 186000 miles......gone
2000 Xantia Hdi 90bhp Forte Estate 97000 miles gone..........to heaven
New High pressure Fuel Pump and Patched ECU , Blower Module fixed by CitroJim :-)