Berlingo HDi turbo issues.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rustynuts
My Cars:

Berlingo HDi turbo issues.

Post by Rustynuts »

Evening people. :D

I think my Berlingo is unwell. It's a 52 reg, 2.0ltr HDi Berlingo van with 216k miles on the clock, and I stopped today to fill up with diesel. Coming back onto the A1 from the Shell station I chose my place in the line of traffic, indicated, booted it up the sliproad, and merged into the line as usual.

Except this time I heard the fatal sound of lost boost whistling away down by my knees. I stopped further on and switched off, then restarted (hoping things would magically fix themselves) but no different. It still drives okay, but there's a distinct lack of performance compared to usual, and the noise comes in when the turbo spools up.

So I'm guessing that it has a wastegated turbo and the wastegate spring has gone. A quick google gave some indication that there may be a solenoid which could be causing problems though, so can anyone give any pointers as to what the problem might be and is it a cheap fix solenoid or a full turbo?

Thanks in advance.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Rusty and welcome to the forum :D I can't help unfortunately as I know nothing of HDi engines but I can only apologise for taking so long to activate you account today :(

I've been a bit on the busy side...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Rustynuts
My Cars:

Post by Rustynuts »

Oh, no problem with the activation. It was only a half hour or so, and if it stops the twits trying to sell 3G iPhones for $300 then it's all good eh?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Carry out the easy checks first such as ensuring that the turbo hoses are still connected. IIRC the solenoid is located at the O/S/R of the engine bay, look for the rubber vacuum hoses running to/from it and ensure that they are not filled with crud by blowing them through.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The 90bhp's dont have a solenoid for the wastegate, its controlled by a little pipe on the inlet.
I agree though it sounds like a turbo hose off somewhere.
Is there black smoke coming from the exhaust when you put your foot down ? have you checked your oil level ?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Sounds exactly like my Xsara HDi when one of the turbo air hoses popped off a few weeks back. The jubilee clip hadn't been tightened up properly by the garage who changed the clutch.
Rustynuts
My Cars:

Post by Rustynuts »

wheeler wrote:The 90bhp's dont have a solenoid for the wastegate, its controlled by a little pipe on the inlet.
I agree though it sounds like a turbo hose off somewhere.
Is there black smoke coming from the exhaust when you put your foot down ? have you checked your oil level ?
Oil gets checked on a regular basis and changed every 12k miles with full synthetic Fuchs. Nothing amiss on that front. No black smoke that I could see really, but as soon as it failed on me I dropped it into my local mechanic round the corner from my house, loaded my stuff into his loan van, and carried on with the days work. It's still round there now and he's going to have a butchers in the morning.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'd taken a weeks unplanned holiday due to a death in the family I'd have the time to take a look myself, but work has piled up and I can't spend time rolling about on the drive trying to fix my van when I've got a backlog like this. Summertime I have to work when I can as there's not a lot of work for a heating engineer when it's hot. Consequently, money is tight aswell. No win situation really, need the van to work, but no money to fix it....

Oh well, back to the BBQ and have another beer.

Judging by what people are saying it'll be a quick easy fix. I do hope so.

On a slightly off topic note, if this van decided it doesn't want to be fixed , what's the power output of the 1.6 HDi unit in the last of the old shape Berlingos? 75bhp or 90bhp?
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Rustynuts wrote:On a slightly off topic note, if this van decided it doesn't want to be fixed , what's the power output of the 1.6 HDi unit in the last of the old shape Berlingos? 75bhp or 90bhp?
Both, it depends on what version you go for, I had 2.0 HDi 90bhp then a 1.6 HDi 90 Berlingo and found the 1.6 to be much quicker, no turbo lag and about 5 mpg more economical.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Rustynuts
My Cars:

Post by Rustynuts »

Good stuff. I'm tripping about in a 75bhp one at the moment and it's a bit sluggish tbh. I'll have to find a 90 if I change.
Rustynuts
My Cars:

Post by Rustynuts »

Well, good news!

Phonecall from the garage this morning and it's a turbo hose that's split in half. Cost of the part is only £6 plus vat. Plus the labour for fitting means that I'm only looking at a bill of around £400....... :roll:

Reason being that the subframe has to come off, the drive shafts have to come out, and various other bits and pieces have to be removed before you can even see the turbo, let alone remove the bloody pipe. Give me strength.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Surely you can take the RH and bottom engine mounts off and pull the engine forward a couple of inches to get enough access to get the pipe off...???
Richard W
Rustynuts
My Cars:

Post by Rustynuts »

Well, whatever they did I just picked it up again, and we're back in action. Total bill came to £147.99, which included £5.95 for the part, labour 2 hours (only!) + vat.

All in all, I reckon that was a very fair deal considering my initial fears, and I can thoroughly recommend Peter Marwood in Brompton on Swale for good service and fair pricing. Even to the extent of a loan van at short notice to keep me working while mine was fixed.

:D