Xantia overhaul

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

eek, popeye

Post by jgra1 »

help guys.....

engine back together , have just driven it 6 miles or so..

temp fine
citerobics fine
no leaks visible yet, although its early days
brakes as before
turbo fine
engine sounds sweet really, compared to before
gearbox great
clutch awesome, abuot 50% lighter and progressive!!

no power steering :(

I have to drive the car from now on, but it's tough...

bearing in mind what has been done to this part of car (pinion valve removed, stripped, cleaned, and new seals in) what are your thoughts?

The only thought I had was that somehow I managed to mix up the two pipes into rack from valve... I would have thought in that case, the steering would be almost impossible to turn in either direction ?

thanks as always
John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sterling effort on what you've done John. The amount of work in the time you've taken is nothing short of a miracle :D

Apart from the steering, delighted to see the results have been very positive :)

I reckon yes, you've got pipes mixed up. Easy to do. What is most likely happening is you are fighting the PAS because of the mix-up. You're trying to steer one way and rather than assisting, the PAS is trying to push you the other way...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

Jim thanks :lol:

I wasn't sure that I could fight the PS.. but if you think it's possible then I will happily swap them...

for what it's worth, the front most of the two ram hyd. pipes, went to the offside of the two outlets from the pinion...

If anyone can remember or has a diagram/photo of the setup.... :twisted:

Jim, yep I think about 60 hours, in 14 days, maybe more.... :shock: dont fancy it again for a few days...
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

I would not have thought that it was the pipes in wrong as you would need Popeyes muscles to fight it.

But just in case, the pipe on the pinion that is closest to the drivers wheel goes into the ram closest to the rack, leaving only one choice for the other!

Check it out and see.

Other than that.
Did you get the teflon seals in the correct groves?
Did you chop a seal on reassembly of the pinion housing? This is easy to do.
Have you trapped the mail feed pipe or return?

Regards.
Martin.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

hi Martin

thanks for that.

sure the seals went in ok, we were able to remove and insert the valve a couple of times, and they all looked ok.

oh no..

see

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2fj8MH_LeQ0/S ... +apart.JPG

this is my valve as it came apart

then see, about half way down, on right..

http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~ynar/bxorg_a ... /m23e.html

they have theirs different to how mine was before strip down :(((

middle seal is in a different valley.. how could mine have come apart like it did... who's right ? :(

maybe my middle seal jumped a valley as it came apart.. seems unlikely..

Someone has just suggested the middle seal postion could be dependant on LHD or RHD, although i cant see it...
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

I have looked at both piccys, yours is / was correct.

If you have followed the web page one you are now wrong.

Why?
The web page pinion is left hand drive, have a look at the teeth on the pinion, if you hold a pinion with the top towards you and the teeth flow to the right, it is a left hand pinion, where if the teeth flow to the left, it is a right hand drive pinion.

We sometimes have a pinion in bits for a while as we may have to put it to one side whilst we do an urgent job for someone, the easy way to remember for the standard UK right hand drive pinion is, one, miss one, one, two.

Lets hope this helps.

Regards
Martin.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

thanks Martin

yep can imagine what you mean, with the different racks needing teeth angled differently...

Ok, let's hope mine has gone back together as the Japanese one, and shunting the seal carefully gets me back on road :)

could be a pain to do, will see
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

well the valve is off,,

taken apart and the seals are as they should be, as they were when it came apart the first time, i.e. bearing seal seal gap seal

but the first two were broken.. I cant even find one of the missing pieces..

finally fed up, nothing left to drive and in the middle of nowhere and busy at work.

:evil:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

John,

:cry:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

is there any diferance between early and late pinions, as i have an L reg XANT i am breaking, and im in east sussex,
regards malcolm
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

valve outer in over, inner in freezer

stuffed the two old seals back in

got ps on one side ;)))) best yet ;)

i'm going out
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:is there any diferance between early and late pinions, as i have an L reg XANT i am breaking, and im in east sussex,
regards malcolm
They're different unfortunately. The L reg will be the of the type that works with teh single output puump and FDV whereas the one you need is the type to work with the twin output pump.

I'm not at all sure the early FDV one will work with the later pump without the FDV.
jgra1 wrote: got ps on one side :wink: ))) best yet :wink:
That's getting better John :D
Jim

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

thanks Malcolm..

think Jim is correct though , shame :(
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yep Jims wright again it has got a single output and flow vavle,
and no im not sure either, im sure Martin will know the diferance
regards malcolm
Pleiades
My Cars:

Post by Pleiades »

Xantia pinions??

According to Citroen (and they should know) there is 5 different ones, but as yet I have only come across 3.

The flow distributor valve makes no difference as the pinion works on flow and pressure, max flow at 150- constant pressure, both the flow valve cars and the non flow valve cars get this.

one difference is the fittings on the turret, these have a union that is screwed in to change the pipe size going in, these can be swapped from one pinion to another.

The main difference comes down to the teeth on the pinion, without going into the workshop, digging out some pinions and counting the teeth, I cannot remember how many, but if the teeth count is the same and the fittings are the same in the turret, then it will fit.

I realy dont want to rub the salt in but for the reasons of your troubles is why I dont realy like selling kits to repair things, as when we repair in the workshop, we can test the unit to make sure that it works properly with no leaks etc before fitting, unfortunatly, the only test that you can do is to fit the bit! In the case of a pinion it is a real pain to have to remove it again upon finding that it failed.

I know that an overhauled pinion is quite expensive when compared to an overhaul kit, but as you have now found out, they are not realy the easiest thing to fix yourself, but I belive that they are worth the extra for the piece of mind that it will work once fitted. But then I would say that as I sell them dont I. :roll:

On another note, if you are stuck for any idea and are close to tears, give us a call and I can certainly talk you through the pinion job, as they say put our heads together and make a wooden hut.

Regards.
Martin. (01487 831239)