Risky ??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I worked with a guy with a Renault 4 that always did clutchless gear changes.

I did try it once or twice but wimped out when I considered the price of a new gearbox.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi Toby,

Both stages can't be rushed... also, changing up is often easier that down, and doing this at all downhill is harder than uphill and flat, I would say...

basically, first stage is to get from gear into neutral.

This is done by applying light pressure to gearstick, whilst taking almost all throttle off..
the idea is, the gearbox is under no load, or drag.. a tiny bit of throttle is usually needed, but it does depend in whether your up/down hill or flat..

try it a few times on a flat road, you'll find the gearstick almost 'falls' out of gear into neutral at the correct thottle pedal position.

Stage 2 is harder, you want to get from neutral into your next gear. What you are trying to do is use the throttle again to get the engine revs to what they would be, if in your next gear, when you get the revs at the correct point, the gearstick should easily slide into gear with only light pressure...

for example, your in 3rd at 3000 rpm, and you want 4th - which will be 2500rpm if everything else remains equal.. if you wait to long, road speed will drop and the revs needed for fourth will drop..

If you get the rpm to 2500 while in neutral, the stick should slide into 4th..
it all depends on your cars ratios etc

you can find ther RPM's for 3rd and 4th at say 40mph.. with clutch, make a note of them.

If it wont go, dont force it :)

John