HDi Estate Suspension heights.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jcdel
My Cars:

HDi Estate Suspension heights.

Post by jcdel »

Just hitched the caravan on for the first time and I suspect the height is set wrong.Receipts for all new spheres etc etc when I bought the car.Ride is smooth but not the best I've had.Gap above the rear arches (tyre to arch I would reckon is around 150mm.Yep it does look high.Has anybody got the dimesions handy.( I haven't got Haynes for this model yet) or is it the same as the 1.9 TD Estate. Thanks once again for any advice.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

That 150mm sounds excessive!

I'd expect the travel of the rear suspension is reduced significantly, as the
normal visual gap with mine is around 60mm between tyre and arch.

The main longitudinal corrector linkages could be bent or a bit of fettling
on the height corrector and the anti roll bar link is called for to get a better
height setting?

Andrew
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Here’s a drawing from Mandrake, showing the hatchback.
Think it’s the same for the estate.

http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... height.jpg
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

A very rough and ready check of rear ride height on an estate is that the tops of the tyres just and just clear the very top of the wheelarch on normal height. You might just get your little finger in between the wing edge and top of the tyre.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jcdel
My Cars:

Post by jcdel »

Many thanks all.I've reduced by about 100mm just tweaking the clamp after first marking with Tippex.I tell you guys this is a different car now and the towing combination is spot on.Citroen wanted initially approx £90 subject to pressures etc. being to spec.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jcdel wrote:I tell you guys this is a different car now and the towing combination is spot on.
Brilliant :D Amazing how much difference correct ride height makes to the overall ride of the car. Delighted all is now well. Enjoy the caravan outing. Xantias do tow a treat.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi excellent reply jim as I need to do mine , but what about the front, or do you just try to keep it level. regards John.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Actually, I prefer a slightly tail up attitude on an estate rather than have the
sills dead true straight/parallel to the road; otherwise the car can look tail
heavy just like an overladen ordinarily suspensioned boring normal car.

That said; 150mm clearance is a bit much!! Isn't that maximum height?
No wonder it felt firm... :lol:

Andrew
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

john alexander wrote: but what about the front, or do you just try to keep it level.
A rough guide for the front is three and a half fingers between the top of the tyre and the highest part of the wheelarch with the steering dead-ahead.

This, on mine, gives the slightly nose-down, tail-up attitude discussed by Andrew :) I like that attitude as well. they somehow don't look quite right dead level.
Jim

john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Thanks for that jim , much appreciated. john.