Xantia handbrake light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Xantia handbrake light

Post by Fox »

Hi there,
Can anyone tell me what triggers the light to show the handbrake is on?
The reason I ask is as follows.
As many of you know my car leaked, so I've had the carpets out this week drying them off - I had to lift the centre console slightly to get the carpets out, and I've left it like this until I put the carpets back in. However, the console is now raised ever so slightly, and won't go back into its original position until I re-screw it down.
As a result of this, when I turn the ignition on and release the handbrake, the light doesn't go out - if I push down on it (Thus moving the console back down) it does. Now, I'm assuming this is merely because the slightly raised console merely prevents some sort of switch tripping to turn the light off.
I'd just like to check this indeed the case, and ask if its advisable to drive the car with the light showing - ie the front brake is not marginally being applied, or anything. I don't think it is, but better safe than sorry.
Ta.
1994 Citroen Xantia SX 1.9 Turbo Diesel
148,500 miles
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

fox,
i think you will find that it is a plunger switch, at the bottom of the handbrake level, as for it only going out when you screw down the centre console, have you tried screwing it down, then seing if you sitll have problems with it lighing up???
dom