Xantia - softest tyres?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LD

Xantia - softest tyres?

Post by LD »

I am trying to produce the softest possible ride in my Xantia TDSX hatchback. I started driving in three variants of the Morris Oxford, and have since owned five Peugeot 504s; so modern suspension is quite a shock to my system - in more senses than one!

Replacing the turbodiesel spheres with ones designed for a 1.6 petrol model brought some improvement; I now have IFHS comfort spheres - specially imported. I am much happier with these.

I recently had a ride in a petrol Xantia belonging to relations, and even without checking I knew the tyres must be different. I was right - 185/65 against my 205/65. It is definitely worth changing the tyres as well; my question is - how far can I go without scraping the wheel arches and annoying my insurance company?

My 504 has 175/80; could I go to 185/75 or more for the Xantia?

Once the size is decided, which make is softest and quietest? Hydropneumatic suspension certainly picks up road noise, and on it's present tyres (Michelin Energy) the Xantia makes quite a racket on the A31 through the New Forest. My relations' model has Avon CR322, which are said to be quiet, and certainly sound quieter than mine. (I'm a musician, so I'm hypersensitive to noise).

I would emphasise that performance and handling are not an issue - the turbo diesel engine gives far more power than I need or am ever likely to use. I started driving in 1968 when a friend's Lotus Cortina - which did 0-60 in 11 seconds - seemed amazingly fast!

Thanks in advance . . .
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

75 profile tyres :?
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I generally recon that the noise isolation on many cars is rubbish - and that compliance is a thing of the past - so have been in the habit of grinning and bearing it.

I had our ZX 1.9D and BX DTR Turbo estate on Continental Eco whatsits as they seemed adequate and not too expensive but last time the ZX needed new front ones I decided that I wasn't adverse to a change and wouldn't mind a pair of Michelins on the front. I was considering something that wasn't a so-called Eco tyre as I'd had some Avon ones which hadn't seemed any different and I thought some may have had a very hard compound.

Eventually I came out with a pair of Kleber front tyres which were a few pence cheaper than the Continentals - and the difference was so dramatic that my wife commented on it without prompting. They are far smoother and quieter and don't thump over joins or shallow ruts like the Continentals did.

Kleber are made by Michelin, they're lasting very well (look like lasting half as long again or more than the Continentals) and seem to have better wet grip than their predecessors.

Both cars are on 175 65 x 14's.

As an observation Citroens run at quite high tyre pressures - and certainly my BX does not appreciate over-inflated front tyres.
jeremy
LD

Xantia - softest tyres

Post by LD »

Xantiaman583 - could you find a moment to explain your thoughts in a little more detail? I shall need to check with my insurance company that the change of tyres is OK with them, and it would help if I know what I'm talking about. I'm sure you do, but my technical knowledge is very limited. :(
C5 HDi 2.2 auto hatchback Exclusive SE (2001)
Xantia TDSX auto hatchback (1999) (sold - gone to Belfast!)
Peugeot 504 GL auto saloon (1973)
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

Hello LD,

I'm assuming that Xantiaman is implying that 75 profile tyres are so old hat they shouldn't be fitted to a modern day car.

Tyres with a 75 profile where what was considerd low profile maybe 25 years ago, I'm not even sure if you can get a tyre with that profile these days and if you could I'm sure you would run into handling problems as well as insurance related problems.
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)
LD

Xantia - softest tyres?

Post by LD »

Thanks Labman - I hadn't realised the significance the icon in Xantiaman's comment! It looks as though 185/65 is as far as I can go safely. I have a friend who's a motoring journalist, with wide experience of old as well as modern cars. He remarked recently "I don't think anyone's concerned about comfort nowadays". Pity!
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

You are welcome LD,

I'm not exactly sure though what you are hoping to gain from your car by fitting higher profile tyres, the Xantia on standard profiles, as long as the suspension is correctly looked after, has to be the most comfortable car I have ever driven and soaks up everything that the roads can throw at it.

I had a BX 1600 a few years ago that had realy soft suspension, it was so bad it could induce a sea sickness feeling the way it floated over even the smallest of ripples in the road surface and sharp corners or roundabouts had you feeling it was going to tip over at any moment.....
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Those of you who remember cross ply tyres will know what LD means, the low speed ride was far superior to any hydropnumatic Citroen, but of course the handling was not. I would go for the ride comfort any time, but then I'm old... :?
LD

Xantia - softest tyres?

Post by LD »

As Peter says - those of us who go back further experienced a degree of comfort that is almost unobtainable nowadays. I have repeatedly driven my Xantia and Peugeot 504 over the same stretches of road, and there's no doubt that the 504 is smoother. It has a very long travel suspension, and most bumps make very little impression. This is not just my opinion - my motoring journalist friend said the ride in the 504 is almost as good as the current Rolls-Royce; he'd driven one recently - but they cost £250,000!

Comfort spheres on the Xantia have certainly helped, and I hope that narrower tyres may get nearer the sort of comfort that was typical fifty years ago. If a car is to remain affordable, it seems that one can have performance or comfort, but not both. Like Peter, I'd go for comfort every time - but I'm almost an Old Age Pensioner, so . . .
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

It`s the increased power of the engines that have stiffened the suspension of modern cars I think. Drivers must power through corners at speed and even cooking engines have more power than the tuned crossflows I used to drive :lol: Rover P6 was comfy as was Renault 4.

As Michelin tyres are so long lasting is the rubber not harder? I have cheapo ones on Xantia....I will replace with Michelin when I wear these down........will look at the Kleber though for a deal.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Many years ago my mother had a 205 diesel, very good car for its time, my mother liked it - apart from the steering which even I found heavy. I went to my local friendly tyre supplier and had all the appropriately sized tyres of different makes on the floor and tested them for flexibility of tread and had the softest ones fitted - it transformed the car. With a suitably obliging supplier the same process could be used to find the softest wall/tread combination - I would be interested in the result. :)
pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

I suppose, LD, that a change of car is out of the question? There's no doubt in my mind that my Hydractive II Xantia rides a lot better than my old TD SX. On the other hand, if you've got the rest of your TD SX debugged, you probably don't want to be changing cars. An old CX (non-GTi) will ride better than either of them, of course...

Or an Austin 1800 :-)

Cheers
Pete
Xantia HDi 110 Excl Estate 140k
C5 HDi 138 Estate
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

.....or a DS.
LD

Xantia - softest tyres?

Post by LD »

Thanks for your thoughts gentlemen.

It really isn't worth me changing cars, as the 504 is PERFECT for me, in every way - if Peugeot's designers could have got inside my brain, and measured all my neural responses, that's exactly what they'd have come up with! I just dread the day when I need a vital part that can't be sourced anywhere - then at least I know the Xantia will keep me going. I bought it partly because I knew that it was possible to modify the ride by changing spheres - we have some appallingly bumpy roads in Poole, and I need all the help I can get to cope with them.

Comparing Xantia-sized tyres and fitting the softest type sounds an excellent idea Peter - I'll be speaking to my insurance broker on Monday, and if they OK the change, I'll try to find a dealer who will do this for me.
exect

Post by exect »

Hi,
My Xantia 1.9 TD has the speedo showing slightly slower than the vehicle is travelling, and I did wonder if the wrong tyres are fitted.
Regards
Exect