xantia 16v 1.8 BE3 gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bxman
My Cars:

xantia 16v 1.8 BE3 gearbox

Post by bxman »

sudden whine on first gear developed this week
appears all OK on other gears
would welcome advise /suggestions /explanation
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi and welcome to the forum bxman :D

I'd give the gearbox oil a change as a first step. It may well be low and if this is the case, it is likely you have a leak from one or both your driveshaft oil seals. They're easy to replace.

Use only Total BV 75W/80 oil or another 75W/80 specifically forumulated for these gearboxes. On no account use any other type or grade of oil.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bxman
My Cars:

Post by bxman »

Thank you citrojim
Oil is up to the mark but may well not be the viscosity recommended
it was so sudden I had done 30 odd miles that day popped it in first to pull
off the road and ough! what a noise.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Is it a really loud whine? One that makes you cringe?

If that is the case and it's only in first, I'd be inclined to suspect that a bearing is on the way out. The top suspect would be the taper roller on the input shaft nearest the bellhousing. This bearing, given the first gear pinions are nearest the bellhousing end of the 'box, would have the heaviest load on it when in first. Also, there is a flat needle roller bearing between first and second pinions on the layshaft that might be the culprit.

I recall an owner of a 205 who drained his gearbox oil (an MA not a BE3 'box) and a couple of balls fell out. He refilled the 'box and it soldiered on for another couple of years with just a tendency for it to jump out of second occasionally :lol:

The BE3 is not a difficult 'box to rebuild although if you need to replace the taper roller bearings, they are shimmed to achieve the correct level of pre-load.

A guide to rebuilding a BE3 'box can be found here.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bxman
My Cars:

Post by bxman »

You are right it does make you cringe.
I am now parking whenever possible so the I can pull off in 2nd.
I am delighted to hear that it might last for a couple of years and that I do not need to introduce sawdust.!!
I have a spare box but not the time or energy at the moment.
when the time comes . I will look and confirm the failure
The links will be a great help ;however I failed to get to the reassembly
page.

Thanks I am most grateful to you for you interest and help.
Patrick.