ZX Clutch cable question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

N_CURTIS
My Cars:

ZX Clutch cable question

Post by N_CURTIS »

Hi all,

A mate of mine had the clutch cable detatch itself from the pedal the other day and it seems from looking at my ZX and the Haynes book that he has a plastic clip missing.

He went to the dealer, but says they were not much help.

So I'm asking if you good people know the truth.......
jmd
My Cars:

clutch cable

Post by jmd »

I have no knowledge on the ZX, but this was a occasional problem on the Xantia & in my experience their was no problem in securing a clip from a Mail Dealer or perhaps from GSF.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There's definitely a plastic clip on some (if not all) ZXs. It's a lot easier to change than the Xantia one!!

Actually, having looked at service.citroen I'm not surprised the dealer is less than helpful!!

It looks like the original design (nippled cable, plastic clip) went on until RP 6018. At RP 6566 the pedal and cable changed to one without a clip. Not clear what was happening between those dates, but the clutch cable (which presumably had a yoke or something on the end?) was pinned to the pedal - and is no longer available. So, first, need to establish age of car, then take it from there! It may be necessary if the car falls in the interim to buy a new pedal and cable to fit it up - but I'm sure some bodgery with a bolt and a bit of plate could make it work!
Richard W
N_CURTIS
My Cars:

Post by N_CURTIS »

Thank you for the replies.

His is a '95 car, mine is a '93 and having had a look at the cable to pedal bit on his again yesterday it would appear they are slightly different.

There are other subtle differences too.

For what it'll cost he's going to look into buying a new clutch cable if it comes with the clip...

I shall have to point him in the direction of this forum as well.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

They don't usually fail for fun - often it means that something else is up - like a damaged cable or worn clutch and or withdrawal linkage.

As a diaphragm clutch wears the plate gets thinner, allowing the presser plate to move further. As it does so the deflection on the diaphragm gets more - and the load needed to disengage the clutch gets greater.

If the clutch is heavy a new clip may not last long.
jeremy