Buying advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lucifer

Buying advice

Post by Lucifer »

Ok looks like I might be going to see a 2.0 HDI C5 tomorrow its only a basic LX model( less things to go wrong) is there anything special I need to look out for other than the cam belt?

Also if I go for the car would the seats from an estate fit a salon as I really need to get leather interior as my son is a haemophiliac and tend to suffer lots of nose bleeds and as such the leather cleans easy

Also if I do get the C5 I’ will need to sell my beloved xantia HDI with full leather interior

Thanks Jay
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Where do you start? There are lots of things that go wrong, some trivial but annoying, others expensive and really annoying.
A lot of problems are shared with the later Xantia's.

Check, then double check, everything electrical - wipers, washers, windows, c. locking/remote locking - all doors & tailgate/boot.
Computer read outs on the instrument panel and on the central console.
Check the heater operation and the aircon if fitted.

See if it has had the timing belt renewed and if possible the tensioner and water pump at the same time.

Harder to check is the dual-mass flywheel and crank pulley. Listen for rattles and squeals.

I'm loath to do this, but have a look in these C5 specific forums:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/C5-L/messages

And
http://www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk/ci ... howforum=4

Not very good compared to FCF but dedicated to the C5. I think you have to sign up to read them too.

Why not just keep the Xantia? Do you really need more headaches?
Touch wood mine has been pretty good but I'm sure it is just lulling me into complacency before dropping a bomb on me.

Mods please remove the links if they offend.
Lucifer

Post by Lucifer »

Well after a good check I'm now the owner of a C5 2.0 HDI 110bhp the cambelt was done only 3,000 miles ago and most things seem ok, its a smother car than the xantia but still feels like a boat on the back roads ( but I'm not a boy racer ) so should be an issue.

Only thing wrong is the radio dosn't tune into anything almost like a broken wire.. but I can always just pop an aftermarket unit in

Jay