HDI timing belt harder to do than 1.9td ????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lucifer

HDI timing belt harder to do than 1.9td ????

Post by Lucifer »

My 1999 2.0 110BHP HDI xantia has started making a pinking noise again under load.

Now last time this happened it seemed to be a n old clogged filter and after changing the fuel filter it was nice and quiet.... well it started back up and from reading other threads on here it looks like it might be an idler pulley as such I would need to renew the timing belt, pulleys and water pump just to be on the safe side.

My question is this much different from the old XUD TD 1.9 as I’ve done a hand full of them without too many issues but I’m concerned that there may be other issues doing this on the HDI

Also has anyone got any ref numbers for ordering the full kit rather than separately

Thanks
Jay
moodle
My Cars:

Post by moodle »

Yup, I did mine a while back using Europarts - you can opt for a kit if you think that the roller bearings may need changing but this is discretionary according to wear.

I posted quite a bit of detail over on the pug forum, do a search for HDi cam belt.

Good luck
leepasifull

Post by leepasifull »

My HDI makes a pinking type noise, but it stops making it as soon as the revs go over 3250. The noise doesn't get worse under extra load (or more throttle)

Is it likely to be timing belt related?

It's a 110BHp HDi with ~177k on the clock.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

leepasifull wrote:My HDI makes a pinking type noise, but it stops making it as soon as the revs go over 3250. The noise doesn't get worse under extra load (or more throttle)

Is it likely to be timing belt related?

It's a 110BHp HDi with ~177k on the clock.
To me it sounds much like the standard HDI injector working noise.
Mind you the HDI injectors opens/closes on a pressure source around the 1200 bar work pressure, which is indeed an incredible pressure to control ...

Meaning its a completely normal noise phenomen on a HDI type engine.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Lucifer

Post by Lucifer »

Thanks for the info ( had car off at a local garage and they came back with the same)

We have now gone a got a C5 HDi ( for better of worse) and will be looking at selling the xantia off shortly

I will be sad to see it go as its been a good car with little going wrong

Thanks
Jay