Xantia Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Smalltower
My Cars:

Xantia Suspension

Post by Smalltower »

Hi
I have a 1994 Xantia that has the 6th sphere between the rear wheels.
This sphere is supposed to maintain the height of the suspension constant, even after the car has been switched off, and it does this, but once the car is re-started after a couple of hours, it acts a bit weird. After the car starts, the red stop light comes on for about 15 seconds, the it switches off and about 5 seconds later the rear supension sinks to minimum height and slowly raises back to its normal riding height.
As I bought the car second hand, I don't know if this is normal or not, but it seems a bit silly to develop a system the maintains the ride height while the car is stopped (probably to save time on start-up) and this system takes over 30 seconds to recover the height after start-up.
Can somebody tell me if this is normal and what to check if it isn't ?
Carlos
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Refill the anti-sink sphere, that will solve the problem.
And the explanation (my view): when you start the engine, soon after warning light is gone, anti-sink valve will open. Now, nitrogen in the anti-sink sphere will be compressed a bit, until the pressure is equal to 'working pressure' in rear suspension. If the anti-sink sphere is low on the pressure, nitrogen will have to be significantly compressed until the pressure is equilised, so the rear end sinks, as in your car.
Smalltower
My Cars:

Post by Smalltower »

Thanks for the help, I will replace the sphere.
Carlos