Xantia starting 1.9 TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete woods
My Cars:

Xantia starting 1.9 TD

Post by pete woods »

Reading ALAWS recent post about starting problems on his ZX TD has got me worried. his cars symptoms are identical to mine. At Dave Burns suggestion I have got a set of beru plugs & will fit these as soon as I can. However the NGK's in the car are almost new & tested ok so could some electrical fault be restricting the current getting to them? I used a rest bulb & they seem to get 12v for the correct time. I was thinking it could be a bad earth but this would also effect the starter motor wouldn't it?
I want to eliminate as much as possible before taking out what appear to be a good set of plugs.
frankie

Post by frankie »

Have you tried checking the resistance or, better still, measured the current they are getting (either with a beefy meter or a DC current clamp)? If you can get hold of a current clamp you could measure the current without disturbing the circuit.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If you think it could be the relay or something else in the glow plug circuit, bypass it as I did by fixing a cable to the glow plug buss equivelant in size (area) to the main supply cable.
Get a helper to sit in the car with ignition off, while you shove the other end of the cable hard onto the battery positive post, when the same period of time the glow light would stay on for has elapsed, get the assistant to turn the key straight round to the starter position.
This may help to confirm a glow circuit fault if it starts ok or eliminate same if it still wont fire.
Dave
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

my xantia t/d engine which has a peugeot 306 td head that i put on 4 months ago (slight mod needed) use to take 6-8 turns of the key to fire up when hot and 2 lots of heat to start when cold with the 306 glow plugs in it. Now with the secondhand NGK's glow plugs from the original knackered xantia head, it takes 1 turn cold and about 1/2 turn hot - great improvement - wish i had swapped them over when i put head on! (not 3 1/2 months later)
my mate had 2 zx's a 1.9 diesel - new glows slight improvement (the car was owned new by his dad)
his 1.9 t/d - new glows absolutely NO BETTER - when he saw how well my xantia started he has asked me to check his cars over this weekend - we suspect fuel/air leak(s)on both as the start fine all day after 1st cold start. hope this helps
G J Wright