Bearing type noise from drivers front

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Bearing type noise from drivers front

Post by KP »

Well i got the front drivers side bearing replaced as i got sick of the drone and low and behold the noise has only got a tiny bit quieter.
Now i can only assume 1 of 2 things.

Either the bearing wasnt replaced and possibly just injected with some grease.
Or the bearing wasnt causing most of the noise and there is something else on the drive train causing it.

Its definately the front right corner as if im in a straight line the noise is there. turn the wheel right a tiny bit and the noise goes.

Is there another bearing or surface that could cause a similair but louder than normal dead bearing noise does anyone know?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

may be the drive shaft intermediate bearing?????

regards malcolm
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

It could be as its the tiniest lift off in pressure and the noise goes away :(

How hard are they to replace? is it something that is known for failing and what often causes them to go?
water ingress?

Any chance of shoving a load of grease into it to see if it helps?

Thanks for the help Citronut :)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its only accesable with the drive shaft removed, then you might be able to grease it, and removal requires a very long bearing puller
regards malcolm
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

So i'd have to drain the gearbox for this and take the hub off to slide it out?

guessing about 2hours labour at a garage really?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i dont usualy drain the gear box, i just put a tray under the diff to catch about a litre of gear oil, then put 1 litre of new oil back in through the 17mm plastic vent with the hole vent unscrewed,

and you dont need to remove the hole hub just hub nut, disconect track rod end, and lower swivel
regards malcolm
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Doesn't really sound like somthing i can do on the drive really :(

Best find somewhere i can take it on my next pay day then :(
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its not that bad you can put a bowle or container under the diff to catch all of the oil which comes out
regards malcolm

ps.
were abouts are you
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

When I first bought this Xsara it had a very loud, road speed related droning noise from the nsr which I was totally convinced was a wheel bearing. I even went as far as buying a hub & bearing kit off ebay but didn't get round to fitting it. It was only when I had both rear tyres replaced and the 'bearing' suddenly became totally silent that I realised the tyre had been the true cause :oops:
Something worth checking perhaps?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Note that the PSA intermediate bearing on the long RHS driveaxle is the industry standard type 6006-ZZ, where code ZZ is dual sided steel dust covers.
The bearing is the same throughout the range of PSA engines.
Should be easy to find for a tenner in any good brand : SKF, FAG, Timken etc. etc.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

It's not an idler for the main timing belt or aux belt about to collapse is it?
Trust me; I know what happens when a pulley whine that'll 'get seen to
shortly when the weather improves' ends up turning into! Are you certain
it is road speed related?

Andrew
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Definately.

If im doing 70 and put the car in nuetral, the revs dop very quickly and the noise is constant.
And the noise goes away if i turn the wheel the tiniest bit to the right, enough to take some strain off the Drivers Front corner.
Its definately bearing and speed related.

The front tyres arent that old, probably less than a year but will be due a new one or two soon anyway as nearly done 20k on them already...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I had a noise like this on a Xantia - turned out there was play in the track rod end, and a slight imbalance in the tyre was causing it to oscillate - and it went away with the slightest steering action, just like yours. Trouble with the TREs is the play goes away if you jack it up or put it in high, so to check, try and wobble the wheel on the 3-9 axis with it on the ground in normal height. If it does so, then odds on there is play in the TRE.
Richard W
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Well i got the front drivers side bearing replaced as i got sick of the drone and low and behold the noise has only got a tiny bit quieter.
Now i can only assume 1 of 2 things.

Either the bearing wasnt replaced and possibly just injected with some grease.
Or the bearing wasnt causing most of the noise and there is something else on the drive train causing it.

Its definitely the front right corner as if im in a straight line the noise is there. turn the wheel right a tiny bit and the noise goes.

Is there another bearing or surface that could cause a similair but louder than normal dead bearing noise does anyone know?
Well over 30 years ago, I emigrated to Frogland with wife +2, and to get us into the Social Security and Schooling, I took a job in the local FIAT (ugh!) main dealership. Stradas were at the time having front wheel bearing problems (due to the ingress of water), and in every case, the WRONG side was diganosed, nothwithstanding the noise coming from that side of the vehicule.

Hope this might be of help...
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

lolingram wrote:
I took a job in the local FIAT (ugh!) main dealership. Stradas were at the time having front wheel bearing problems (due to the ingress of water),
So this was this a particular problem with the Strada? Reason I ask is because in the early 90s I had a Fiat Regata (like a Strada but with a boot) for 6 months, that was all I could stand!, and had 2 wheel bearings go within a few weeks of each other.