turbo power

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

casperdog2
My Cars:

turbo power

Post by casperdog2 »

My daughters xantia 1900td sx has a problem with the turbo not working the car is very slow compared with mine, Ive checked for air leaks, cant find any so is there an electrical problem I could check out.it feels as though theres no turbo fitted but ofcourse there is.
when in doubt get a bigger hammer
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Check for a thin rubber pipe that runs from the intercooler to the pump, you will quite likely find it has come off. It detects the increase in air pressure when the turbo comes in and increases the fueling accordingly.
casperdog2
My Cars:

turbo power

Post by casperdog2 »

Ive checked that small pipe, and it didnot have any leaks but it was a bit soft so I am going to change it as it may flaten when a lot of suction is applied. its things like this that drive me up the wall, but its good when you sort it, some people do crosswords or watch tele, others buy citroen xantias.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Re: turbo power

Post by AndersDK »

casperdog2 wrote:Ive checked that small pipe, and it didnot have any leaks but it was a bit soft so I am going to change it as it may flaten when a lot of suction is applied. its things like this that drive me up the wall, but its good when you sort it, some people do crosswords or watch tele, others buy citroen xantias.
It wont get lots of suction.
Hopefully your turbo supplies lots of pressure ... :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah, I doubt if that's you problem then, it doesn't have vacuum it has pressure. Disconnect the air intake pipe from the manifold and rev the engine with your hand near the end, you should feel quite a strong blast of air from it if the turbo is working. No draught at all and its probably not, although its very rare for one to fail. I gentle draught would indicate a restriction in the air supply from the filter, check the filter and associated piping for collapse/blockage.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Anders, you beat me again. :D
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

I had a similar problem on my 405 (same engine). Turned out someone had had the intercooler off and not refitted it properly. The seal between the the intercooler and the manifold was broken. I was losing all of my turbo pressure. £2.56 for a new seal from a dealer and the car was dramatically better.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
casperdog2
My Cars:

turbo power

Post by casperdog2 »

Thanks for the advice sofar, Ive done the things that you all sugested and when you rev the car you can feel the rush of air on both sides of the intercooler, but the car is still flat. on my car when you come to a hill I give it a bit more throttle and its away like a bullet but this car you have to change down a cog, could the timing be out by a tooth or could the fuel pump not be giving the extra fuel, I think that I will try and get a pressure gauge to check the presure at the pump, I read about this on the forum somewhere. thank you all again for your help.you learn a lot on this forum
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi there.. With most of the TDSX's now getting long in the tooth, a good way to get these cars (mine included!) through the smoke test is to back off the max fuel screw a few degrees anti clockwise. This would produce the symptoms you describe. It sounds as though you know which part does what so check the seal on the diesel pump for tampering before you try anything more complicated. Best wishes anyway, Martin
I won't do that again