Hydraflush and bleedin' brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Hydraflush and bleedin' brakes

Post by Stempy »

How do you blokes stop getting green stuff everywhere when bleeding the brakes? I filled up with hydraflush today which all went well apart from the brake bleeding bit. I just can't seem to get a good seal on the nipple so the fluid just squirts everwhere. Is there a special pipe needed or am I just incompetent (most likely)?
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I know your problem Stempy and the location of the front nipples doesn't help :twisted:

I use a length of soft aquarium air pipe that's a fair tight fit over the nipple and lead this into a jamjar the pipe is about 9 inches long and just reaches the jar sitting on the ground.

I undo the nipple slightly (loose but still sealing) and put the bleed pipe on with the ring spanner in place. It only needs a gentle touch then to open it and this helps not to dislodge the pipe.

I find that LHM hardens the ends of plastic aquarium pipe over time and it needs replacing fairly frequently or the ends chopping off to find a soft bit.

Even then, taking all these precautions, I'm ont immune from the odd shower of LHM from a fallen off bleed pipe :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Cheers Jim, better get me some of that there pipe then. Not looking forward to the LHM refill, don't know who invented the bleed nipple but it wasn't that well thought out.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

I use the overflow pipe from the LHM reservoir when I bleed my brakes. It is a good fit and provided that you do not undo the nipple to far, or too fast, it stays on.

Richard
1998 Xantia 1.9TD Estate (Sold - replaced with Skoda Octavia (sorry))