Several problems with a Xantia 1.9TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Maaaahtin

Several problems with a Xantia 1.9TD

Post by Maaaahtin »

I've got a few problems with my Xantia, most have been there since I bought it and are tolerable, but the first is a more recent development.

A few weeks ago the car refused to sit at normal ride height, only fully up or down. Changing the little plastic connector under the car seemed to fix that for a while, but yesterday it came off again and the car went back to up/down only. I put it back on (or so I thought) and it was OK again, but it's come off again. Perhaps the metal part it attaches to is corroding, what do I have to replace for that and how much will it cost?

The other problems are: speedo sticking to ~50mph randomly, hitting the dash above the speedo sorts that; rear passenger door doesn't unlock, and if it does unlock it doesn't lock; rear driver side window doesn't work; and the tacho doesn't work at all, which I think is a broken TDC sensor?
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Sorry I can't really help on the other matters but the suspension should be a priority IMO.

If a new plastic link is popping off then I suspect the height corrector linkage has seized. If you can support the car chassis safely, get underneath and remove as much rust as you can especially from the height corrector mechanism, then soak the moving parts in penetrating oil, immediately followed by a light machine oil or 3-in-1 type. Once soaked in, replace the linkage having very lightly oiled the cup & ball and the little disc of felt, then do some more citrobics and see if it pops off again. It may take a while to free up the seized parts or it may need replacing but it's worth regularly lubing and greasing up - especially the rear.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the metal arm with the ball end on is around 12 squide from citroen, it is attatched to a pinch clamp on the anti roll bar, easy to change but then you will have to set up the rear hight,

the speedo might be dirty conection on at the plug which goes to the transducer, which is on the top of the diff houseing were a speedo cable would normaly fit

the door lock may need a new unit if they are sealed like the pissssscaso
regards malcolm

ps.
pluss what MikeT said
bonnyman750
My Cars:

Post by bonnyman750 »

Check out the following blogsite for the speedo fault...It worked for me.

http://www.schaalbouw.nl/citroen/blog051007.htm

Also I had a similar problem with the rear drivers side door. It was a consequence of the door dropping over time and the striker breaking the plastic shroud around the latch in the door. A small piece of the broken plastic had become lodged in the latch assembly and was preventing the door to be opened from in or outside of the car...

HTH

Cheers

Glyn
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The rev counter problem is also likely to be a bad connection, this time on the two pin plug on the gearbox end of the cylinder head, just above the bell housing.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Maaaahtin, what typr of speedo cable have you got? Is it the old mechanical type (like mine) or the newer 2-wire type? If itis the older type I would be VERY interested if you manage to find what is causing your problem as mine is doing the same thing.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
f00lzz
My Cars:

Re: Several problems with a Xantia 1.9TD

Post by f00lzz »

Maaaahtin wrote: Changing the little plastic connector under the car seemed to fix that for a while, but yesterday it came off again and the car went back to up/down only. I put it back on (or so I thought) and it was OK again, but it's come off again. Perhaps the metal part it attaches to is corroding, what do I have to replace for that and how much will it cost?
Once the little plastic link has come off a couple of times... throw it in the bin... it'll only keep popping off because the cup edges are weakened!!!! Once you have sorted the reason for it popping off (sticking HC) buy a new one, plus a spare!!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate