CODE READERS

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

CODE READERS

Post by citronut »

XANTIA code reader socket, which models have one, and were are they located, as i have probably wasted 65 squide on a code reader from fleabay,

its a MEMOSCAN U581, only just got it yesterday, and not sure what it can (CAN) do, it is supposed to read CAN and OBD 2, have i bought a kipper or citron (lemmon)
regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Malcolm,

The diagnostic socket on all Xantias is in the fusebox under the drivers knee. It's a special 30 pin one on MK1s and a standard looking 16 pin OBD II style one on a MK2.

I'm sorry to say the code reader will not work :( Only the pukka Citroen (Lexia or ELIT) diagnostic readers or after market ones like the Sykes Picavant especially designed for Citroen vehicles will read them.

Despite some claims to the otherwise, no Xantia is OBD II compliant despite MK2s having an OBD II lookalike diagnostic socket.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings Malcolm. I fell into the same trap a while back, believing what I was told that an Activa was OBD II compliant :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Jim,

Not wanting you to give away all you secrets :wink: , but where did you get your Lexia from? As I have the HDi now, and my Dad has a Xsara HDi and a C4 HDi, and my mate a 306 HDi, it might be worth investing in a code reader for the inevitable failures :lol: I remember Bernie had a S-P one that did his HDi, but I suspect the pukka Citroen jobbie will be better - but I'm not sure the near £1k mark floating about on ebay is worth it!
Richard W
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Jim's got it right on this one, I've researched diagnostics extensively and have a Sykes kit, an E.L.I.T and a Lexia. The Sykes kit does quite well up to a degree on engine, ABS and airbags but Lexia can interrogate all systems (including deadlocking, indexed mirror etc etc) state how many times the fault has occurred and together with its base station you can test each individual component/sensor from one central point using additional leads plugged into the automatic harness tester.

My HDi had five codes logged in its ECU which the Sykes tool just couldn't clear, Lexia found six codes which again wouldn't clear but Lexia has the facility to reset ECu's back to their original state, so I reset the ECU which sorted it all out and its stayed clear of faults ever since. Interestingly Lexia and E.L.I.T. can clear some faults that the Sykes can't :?

Most of the lexia's sold on Ebay are of Chinese origin which don't come with all of the software disc's, in addition the earlier version (Lexia 2) has the automatic harness tester that AFAIK (Lexia 3) doesn't as it runs from a laptop.

Both mine and Jim's Lexias' are from a closed dealership bought via Ebay in a roundabout way :wink:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

so citroens must suffer with dis LEXIA then!!!!!!,
ok do say it,

my son wants to know what protocol and or algarithum is used by the citroen able systems, as he said if he has that info he should be able towork things out
regards malcolm
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

There is an automatic harness tester (break out box) for Lexia 3, it plugs in via USB, it has 256 pins as opposed to lexia 2's 126 pin box, this is required as some of the new ECU's & BSI's have more than 126 pins.
Only other problem with Lexia 2 is that there are no more updates available now for it past CD 38.