C5 Oil Leak?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mooseshaver
My Cars:

C5 Oil Leak?

Post by mooseshaver »

Hello, should I be worried about oil that appears to be leaking from the bottom of the intercooler? I think its an intercooler. Small radiator thing. Pipe goes into top of it from top of engine.
Its got oil around the bottom of the radiator and thats flowed onto the bit below.

Have had someone revving it while I looked and can't see anything more coming out.
Whenever I have it serviced, its always overfilled with oil maybe this is where it leaks out?

Oil is still high on the dipstick.
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

On TDs it's pretty normal to have a little oil in the intercooler as oil vapour (mist) passed into the inlet tract from the crankcase breather condenses there. I'd expect the HDi to be no different.

Over time, the hoses connecting to the intercooler weep a little oil due to a bit of settling and a need to just nip up of their jubilee clips.

It'll be worth inspecting all hose connections to the intercooler and looking to see if any are wet. There may be a small hose going to a MAP sensor that may have perished and is weeping a little of the condensed oil. It'll also be worth giving the intercooler a quick pressure check just to ensure it is not itself leaking although if it were, I would have expected a noticeably small performance reduction.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

Thanks Jim

I've had a look and pipes seem ok. It looks like is sprayed, and a friend said the oil feels like its drying so may have been a while ago. It was serviced a few months back and last year the turbo was looked at and pressure checked in various places so perhaps one of those two caused it.
Will keep an eye on oil level.
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Why not look into having the engine steam-cleaned, after which it should be a simple matter to identify the source of the leak.
mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

myglaren wrote:Why not look into having the engine steam-cleaned, after which it should be a simple matter to identify the source of the leak.
Its a modern citroen and would probably melt :lol:
IT is a good point, but I think I shall leave it and just keep checking the oil. I think maybe once it gets to 100 000 miles I will replace it. Too many things to go wrong and the items it needs for a 100 000 miles would be expensive.
Bit disapointed the new C5 estate has less load space.
Gone cars.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
axford

Post by axford »

Hi,justdone mine.Take it off,clean it with white spirit (not getting much inside)and old dish washing brush.submerge bottom half in bath of water and block one end up with your hand and the other with your face and blow hard.Get your wife to watch for bubbles and mark/remember.Dry completely and seal area with fix leak.£4.99 ebay.Put back on and feel chuffed.Chris.