Xantia 1.8i front brake caliper question re: LHM leakage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Xantia 1.8i front brake caliper question re: LHM leakage

Post by JamesQB »

Hi all,

My parents' Xantia 1.8i 8V 1996 model car is leaking LHM from the front-left brake caliper. Inspection shows that it's coming from a split in a rubber 'cap' that is cable-tied over a side projection on the caliper where the handbrake lever goes into the caliper.

I wondered if LHM is supposed to be in that capped area so the lever mechanism is constantly lubricated, but going by the rust on the parts in there, I'm wondering if it doesn't usually have LHM present and the cap is just a cover to prevent muck getting in.

Assuming that, inside there, the lever presses directly on the caliper piston, could it be the piston is leaking LHM past into the rubber boot, but shouldn't be?

If anyone knows more on it, I'd appreciate it, so I can get the bits and fix it while I'm here (Spain).

Thanks,
James
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi James,

No, there should be no LHM in the boot concealing the handbrake linkage. Xac and I had that with his Xantia when we were doing the clutch. I grabbed the caliper to pull the driveshaft out of the gearbox and got an LHM shower all down my arm :lol: :twisted:

I'm not sure if the caliper can be repaired or if a repair kit is available..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Just had a look on citroen.service.com.

It looks as if the O ring on the handbrake adjuster lead screw fails to cause this leak.

There is a repair kit available for £25 (part no. 95-651-051) that contains all the seals you need.

There is a bigger repair kit to fully rebuild the caliper for £50 (part no. 4427-98 )
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Jim, that 8) wouldn't happen to be an 8 inside a closed bracket? :lol: :lol:

Andrew
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

andmcit wrote:Jim, that 8) wouldn't happen to be an 8 inside a closed bracket? :lol: :lol:

Andrew
Well spotted Andrew :P

The correct number is indeed 4427-98
Jim

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

What 8) Andrew ?

- sorry I just edited Jim's post :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

AndersDK wrote: - sorry I just edited Jim's post :lol:
Thanks Anders :wink: I looked and saw the 8) had gone and wondered if my new Opera Browser was doing something funny :roll: I've just upgraded to V9.5 and it did do some funny things initially - like showing my login name at the bottom of the screen in black rather than orange :? :lol:
Jim

JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

Thanks a lot for that information. Looks like I have a bigger job ahead of me that I expected, as well as needing to change 4 spheres while I'm here... :(

They went this morning to order the rubber boot from the not-so-local Citroen dealership, and I hadn't checked this thread back then, so I'd better get on the phone and see if that part number works for them and they can get the kit.

Big job fitting the new seals pack?
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

JamesQB wrote: Big job fitting the new seals pack?
No, I don't think it is. Just don't try to remove the handbrake operating arm from the rear! You'll have loads of fun getting it all back together due to a very big spring. Work from the piston inwards.

Just check the part no. for the repair kits with your dealer to ensure you have the right one for your model. Calipers do vary a little between models and the one I quoted was for a 1.9TD (automatic reaction :roll: ) so do check please.. Unfortunately, where I am at the mo, I have no access to service.citroen.com to confirm..
Jim

JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

Well, luckily when my parents got to the Citroen dealership, they were told they'd need a kit as couldn't buy just the rubber boot on its own; one costing 40 euros, or a bigger one with a few extra bits for 60 euros. They chose the 40 euro one, which I'd say is the £25 kit you spoke of. Apparently it contains several bits and pieces, so fingers crossed it'll be the repair kit with the necessary seals.

You say to work from the piston inwards...does that mean removing the piston from the inside of the caliper and take bits out that way? Just wondering how I'd do that, does the piston unscrew out all the way? Only other question is will removing the piston allow me to pull out the adjuster lead screw as well, which requires the new seal?

Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If someone can confirm that both the 1.9TD hatchback and estates use the same front caliper, I can pop up to Northampton on Saturday and buy a replacement for Cassy from the scrapyard there as it's going to be cheaper than £25.
Then I can take apart the old one and advise on how best to do it.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The front calipers are the same on the 1.9TD estate as they are on the Hatch Xac :wink:
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

James,

The alternative part no. for a seal kit is 95 661 818. Both this and the part number I quoted earler is listed for various 1.8 models so when you order have your VIN and RP number handy to ensure you get the right ones.

I'd think the piston unscrews fully out of the caliper followed by the lead screw and spring to replace the seals. Seems logical but Xac will soon give us all the information needed :wink:
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

citrojim wrote:The front calipers are the same on the 1.9TD estate as they are on the Hatch Xac
Jim - I'm chasing you round tonight disagreeing with you!!

I'm pretty sure the Estate has bigger front brakes than the hatch*, and hence the calipers are different. However, from the point of view of the handbrake mech they're probably the same. HDi 110, 2.0CT, 2.1TD and V6 use different brakes still.

*ISTR folk having trouble though with estate sized brakes on hatches and vice-versa. Just for fun!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote: Jim - I'm chasing you round tonight disagreeing with you!!
:lol: :lol: :oops: You're dead right Richard. They are indeed different! I took a quick look at service.citroen.com and looked too quickly not realising the significance of the wording "Turbo Diesel XUD9TE and 5 door Estate". The hatch is "Turbo Diesel XUD9TE and 5 door Saloon"

And there was I thinking only the rear calipers differed on estates...
Jim