C5 Wet Strut

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JT
My Cars:

C5 Wet Strut

Post by JT »

Hi all,
The drivers side strut ( The one you can see going up under the wheel arch ) on my 02 C5 HDI has been wet under the plastic sleeve which covers part of it, for the last while now.
I am assuming this is a hydraulic fluid leak from somewhere, possibly a seal.
Anyone got any ideas on where or what to look for?
Thanks
JT
odednovo

I have the same problem for a long time.

Post by odednovo »

I have the same problem for a long time.
You have to check if the return pipe from the strut does not leaks or torn.
I have the same problem in my C5 for a long time. To my opinion, this part is very expensive so if you are not seeing drop in the hydraulic fluid level in its tank and you feel good with the behavior of the strut you do not have to worry about it.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

You have to check if the return pipe from the strut does not leaks or torn.
I have the same problem in my C5 for a long time. To my opinion, this part is very expensive so if you are not seeing drop in the hydraulic fluid level in its tank and you feel good with the behavior of the strut you do not have to worry about it.
Agreed. Just remember to wash the strut down before the next MOT, or it will be failed. I have had a slightly weeping strut on my '94 XANT TD for several years, and this ruse works a treat.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

lubrication

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

I have been lubricating my struts by pouring a little lhm down through the hole at the back of the top of the strut under the bonnet this can stop squeaking when the suspension has been down for a while.
if I let the MOT station know ther is never any failure so this may be a good excuse if you have an MOT approaching. otherwise your return lines want replacing pretty soon. on the BX they used to be fairly easy i don't know about the C5 Though.

regards nigel.
petef
My Cars: DS DS5, C4 Coupe, DS23 Pallas, Xantia Activa

Post by petef »

Mine was the same on my last C5 for many months - never got any worse and fluid level never went down. My advice is ignore it unless it really starts to lose fluid.
Peterf
jmd
My Cars:

Re your Struts

Post by jmd »

I read somewhere that this tends to happen the C5 if the car (suspension) is low in LDS fluid. Check your level - I think this check is carried out with the suspension lowered completely