Citroen Xantia BA 5 gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Downunder
My Cars:

Citroen Xantia BA 5 gearbox

Post by Downunder »

Does anyone know of the major differences between the BE3 and BE5 gearboxes. I have found the site through this forum which details the dismantling of a BE3 gearbox which I want to employ on my 1997 model 2 litre DOHC manual - sold here as an Image model which has a BE5 gearbox. Looks like an ideal job for a winter's weekend here.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Welcome to the forum!

Only 2 gearboxes fitted to Xantias - BE3 and ML5. ML5 is only fitted to 2.1TD, 2.0T, and HDi 110 models - all others are BE3. There are differences in the bell housings for different engines to accomodate different clutches - the 2.0 uses the same pull type clutch as the 1.9TD. Different internal ratios on the gear clusters as well obviously....!

What's up with yours?
Richard W
Downunder
My Cars:

Post by Downunder »

Richard
My 180,000 km young vehicle's clutch clip broke 2 week's ago. To get home I started it in 1st gear, managed to get it into 2nd and 3rd with a small amount of crunching.

After I made a new metal clutch clip out of aluminium alloy and replacing transmission fluid with Castrol 75W90 Syntrax, I find that synchro on 2nd gear is no longer existent. Everyone tells me that it is most unlikely that I have damaged the gearbox. That may be so but I believe that I will have to pull the 'box out to see what the problem is. Tomorrow, being the weekend I will check out the gear linkages to see if the problem lies there. A gearbox removal is a big job, but a cold winter's day here with a maximum of 13 degrees celcius, it may be an ideal time to stay in the shed, turn on the telly to the Aussie rules football match and beaver away.

I think the problem lies in a synchro spring. My first look will be to drain the transmission fluid and poke my finger up the hole to see if any metallic bits have dropped to the bottom of the gearbox casing.
Cheers
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Easier to learn to double declutch - and far more fun when you've mastered the art!
jeremy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's dead easy to wreck the synchro hubs in a BE3 when the clutch fails :cry: Xac "did in" his third gear synchro when his clutch failed; one reason why we changed his 'box last week. His old one is currently sitting on my garage floor awaiting fitting of a new synchro hub.

The synchro hubs are made of soft alloy and last for 100s of thousands of miles if cared for with good clutches and good 75W/80 oil but give 'em abuse and they go just like that. If the hub itself is OK, As you say, the spring will have broken. I have a spare one should you need one.

The BE3 is ever such an easy 'box to overhaul and not as bad as you think to remove. Have you seen this Guide to taking a BE3 to bits?

Words on how to remove a gearbox can be found here.

The big problem is the cost of the new synchro hubs. At the last check they were £122 each so I'd try to get an otherwise scrap box and strip that for hopefully good hubs. Any 'box will do as a donor, ratios are of no consequence as all synchro hubs are the same. The springs are not available as a separate part.

Working outside in 13 degree weather is almost tropical and really rather balmy for us Poms :lol: . Try replacing a height corrector in -5 degree weather laying on a concrete drive :roll: That's more normal for us, that and working in pouring rain :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Downunder wrote:replacing transmission fluid with Castrol 75W90 Syntrax
If that's not a typo, the get that oil out and fill it with 75W80 - and don't use any friction modifiers, see where that gets you.
Richard W
Downunder
My Cars:

XantiA BE3/5 GEARBOX

Post by Downunder »

Dear RichardW
I have used AGIP 75W/90 in the gearbox for 8 years (158,000 kms) and the gearbox has been perfect until my stupid impulsive action of driving home without a clutch. Still I am not the first and certainly will not be the last. Hopefully I will be back on track, or at least my wife will be after I have installed a year 2000 306 gearbox (1998cc XT). Myself and 2 fellow Citnuts believe the housing, motor and heaps of other internals look identical right down to the idle stepper motor. Here's fingers crossed. I was quoted $780 (350 Pounds) for a selector ring (incorporating synchro ring) for gearboxes up to no. 66082 and $580 for numbers thereafter. Maybe latter ones have plastic gears - hence reduced cost. I think I may have to contact GSF whoever. Thanks for your advice.