Xantia 1.9 TD Alternator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nesssalmon

Xantia 1.9 TD Alternator

Post by nesssalmon »

Hi - Could someone please tell me what type of alternator I have in my 'P' Reg Xantia SX 1.9TD Estate, as the details have worn off the identification plate.

I believe it may be a certain type and Amp?, and I guess that all models the same as mine would have the same alternator?

So i need to know if it would be a 75 Amp, 100 Amp etc.

My red battery light is on, and after tightening the Serpentine belt, and checking the battery I think it must be the Alternator?

Many thanks
Robert
:wink:
Last edited by nesssalmon on 11 Jun 2008, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
1998 Grand Espace 2.2 TD 'S' Reg
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

May be the rectifier, if so it may be worth taking it to an auto electrician who will be able to replace the blown diode(s).
A mate had it done for £8 after Toyota had charged him £54 for a new alternator belt then was going to charge £600 for a replacement alternator!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good advice Steve :) And quite a straightforward job for a good autosparky.

If you do find you need to replace it, you'll find it's a bit of a minefield. There are a lot of different alternators fitted depending on the aux belt tensioner arrangements, air con or no aircon, early, late and so on. There is even some alternators that look right but are a tad too long and make the aux belt run a groove off. I'd take your old alternator to a factor and carefully match it up. Factors in my experience are not always au-fait with all the variations and nor are their parts catalogues.

Changing it is a task that looks impossible but is not as bad as it looks. On balance, on airconditioned cars, it is slightly easier to remove the HP pump first although it can be done without by removing an intercooler pipe and gently easing it out backwards. The top hose will need to pulled well out of the way to give clearance.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Worth checking with a volt meter that the alternator really has gone west before condemning it on the strength of a 5p idiot light on the dash board :lol: I'd try giving the alt a few sharp taps with the end of hammer handle too - if the brushes are playing up this may jolt them back into life for a bit.

I've had 2 alternators give trouble - the first on a 652cc Visa - that never put the light out, but charged OK, till one day it didn't - first I knew about it was non-start situation..... :roll:

The other was on a BX TD - had been noisy a while, then seized solid one day (whilse SWMBO was out driving it at lunch time :D ), stalling the engine, which wouldn't restart till the belt had been removed. Changing a BX TD alternator is much much harder than it ought to be!!
Richard W
nesssalmon

Post by nesssalmon »

Thank for your replies, V helpful

I have had a neighbur check the voltage getting to the battery and he said it was almost non existant. (Main dealer BMW mechanic)

So I will try the hammer if no joy look toward either the Diode or just taking the old one off and taking it with me to find a replacement.

I suppose I was a bit hopeful to think it would be a simple that all 1.9TDs with aircon have the same alternator :shock:

My Xantia has Air Con, so it may be a HP pump removal,

Many thanks again
Robert :D
1998 Grand Espace 2.2 TD 'S' Reg