Central locking and wet carpets continued :)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Central locking and wet carpets continued :)

Post by Fox »

Hiya,
(For those that didnt read earlier threads, my sunroof drain blocked, car filled with water, remote locking no longer works).
Thanks for all your advice. I've removed the front passenger seat and found it was wet under the front carpet was well, so will be drying it this week. I also located what is presumably the connection for the remote locking - two wires have come away from the main connection block and there was a bit of corrosion which we've cleared up. The problem now is the two loose wires - we do not know which way they are supposed to go back on. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this part of the car? I think its called a multiblock..
Secondly, the rear carpet. The foam underside is also very wet, but removing this carpet will be a big hassle. I intend to prop it up, wring the water out and leave the car on with the heater on full for a day. Reckon it'll do the trick?
1994 Citroen Xantia SX 1.9 Turbo Diesel
148,500 miles
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I have used a small 1 Kw electric fan heater (about £8 B+Q) to dry out a few cars. Direct the air under the carpet and leave a window a little open to allow the moisture laden air to leave the car. If you can lift the other end of the carpet, it'll dry faster because of the wind tunnel effect.
Take care not to obstruct the fan intake, and be sensible about where you place it. I run mine through an RCD, just in case.
ZX D
XM V6 Sei
err... and a Vauxhall.
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

Running the car heater is an excellent way of drying the car, we used to do it all the time at the car dealership I used to work at. As said above you need to leave a small gap, (5-10mm, any more and you allow the heat to escape, ideally it should be akin to a sauna in the car) at the top of your window to allow the moisture to escape, though you will need to keep the car running for at least two hours, maybe more depending on how damp it is.
frankie

Post by frankie »

I couldn’t face removing the carpets so I removed the rubber bungs in the floor and inserted linen wicks into each of them to draw the water out. I’m going to leave it a week like this before heating/ventilating, I can’t tell you what it looks like.
Xantia 95 SX TD
timbo
My Cars:

Post by timbo »

keep stuffing newspaper under the foam,takes some time but does draw most of the water out,I dont think you'll gat it totally dry with out removing it. as for the wires i've done mine and i made o note of the colours mine went..... femail connecter Yellow Yellow Red Red
green orange blue grey violet
black
mail connecter Yellow Yellow Red Red
Red Green Brown Black Green
i think i made a mistake with one of the greens which should be grey but when you look it will hopefully make sense.