Xantia glow plugs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete woods
My Cars:

Xantia glow plugs

Post by pete woods »

I am going to replace the NGK plugs in my 1.9 td SX to hopefully cure the poor cold starting performance.
Having had a brief look it's clear that I'm going to have to remove some of the trunking in order to get at them.
what I'd like to know is how the bit that runs over the top of the motor & down to the turbo is secured. as far as I could see (in the road, at night with a torch)apart from the obvious fittings that can be seen from the front of the car, there is just a big jubilee clip holding it to the turbo. Is this right? I dont want to miss a hard to see bolt & end up breaking something.
Any tips/advice? Apart from waiting for a warm sunny weekend when I'll be able to see what I'm doing.
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

just done my xantia t/d glows today you have to completely remove the top manifold to intercooler plastic pipe. But i did not undo the other turbo pipe from the turbo end but i removed the other end completely from the intercooler hose and lifted it up and over to the right just above the oil filter cap and let it rest there
G J Wright
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

You don't need to take the pipe off at the turbo Pete, just undo it from the bracket on top of the engine and from the rubber pipe going to the intercooler, you can then carefully move it aside to gain access, it will give a bit at the turbo end because it goes onto rubber before connecting to the turbo.
Remove the plastic manifold to intercooler air pipe, remove the metal pipe bracket held on with a single screw in the center of the head, undo the fuel pipes from their fixing at the cam belt, remove the fuel supply pipe from the pump and don't let any dirt get in, put the banjo union bolt back in to prevent this.
Before removing the plugs behind the injection pump, cram some rag down between the pump and its bracket and between the bracket and block, if you drop a nut or spanner it can be a bastard of a job retrieving them.
Getting the 5mm (thread, 8mm accross flats) nut and cable back on the plug is a fun job, this is where the rag comes in.
I cheat by nipping a piece out of the wire connector so it forms a fork and clears the 5mm thread, then put the new plug in with the 5mm nut allready on, all I need do then is slide the connector under the nut and tighten it.
I don't use this method for all plugs, just the awkward one behind the pump, the two connectors in the centre of the glow cable are not big enough for this mod.
Good luck
Dave